Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thrush misery

(19 Posts)
Minime85 Sun 14-Jun-15 17:20:30

Having a bad bought of thrush. Took tablet on Thursday and worst of symptoms have improved but still some rather uncomfortable feelings down there. Been using cream 3 times a day and eating pro biotic yogurt. Smells quite strong too (sorry TMI) but not a fishy smell or discoloured discharge or anything like that. Def is thrush. Does anyone know when you can take another tablet or have any suggestions of alternative treatment?

dementedpixie Sun 14-Jun-15 17:42:08

Could you try a pessary?

Frenchmustard7 Sun 14-Jun-15 17:43:03

Stop eating sugar completely.

AMcoffeeLover Mon 15-Jun-15 16:25:07

Sounds odd but this does work. peel a large clove of garlic, pick all over with a clean pin and insert as high up as you can. Leave over night (12 is best) fish it out then leave your bits alone! . mine is gone in one night if I couple that with cotton pants, 2 nights if I wear synthetic. Has worked for everyone I've recommended it to!
Hope that helps smile

AMcoffeeLover Mon 15-Jun-15 16:25:25

Prick not pick!

SpottyTeacakes Mon 15-Jun-15 16:31:17

I prefer pessaries to creams. I usually get the pack of three that you use on three consecutive nights works much better.

SpottyTeacakes Mon 15-Jun-15 16:31:35

Oops meant I prefer them to tablets!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 15-Jun-15 16:53:54

I can only use a course of tablets from the doctor. I find the over the counter one is a waste of money. My GP gives me a five day course and it seems to clear up.

Fingerbobs Tue 16-Jun-15 11:55:18

It is horrible isn't it. You can take the tablets - fluconazole? - more frequently but you have to get blood tested in case it affects your liver. I have horrific recurring thrush and at one point went through a whole rigmarole of take a tablet once every 3 days for a week then x times a week for 6 months, going to get blood checked every whenever (sorry DS was quite small so have little real memory apart from exhaustion!). And that was fine, except the first period I had at the end of that time, back it roared. So now I just have tablets on prescription which I take as and when it gets unbearable. I'm also low-carbing and so far not a joy of difference in 6 weeks. Hope you're better now.

Lonz Tue 16-Jun-15 13:41:49

Everytime I've used the Canesten Duo packs it always clears up within a matter of hours and never really need to use cream. Bit pricey but worth it to me. Cream alone wont do anything.

Minime85 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:12:20

Thanks for everyone's advice. Hoping I'm seeing the last of it today. If still lurking tomorrow I'm going to take the tablet again. Haven't seen the duo packs will look for those. Thanks. I've been pant less as much as possible and cotton ones if I can't. Been a really full on case of it this time. Thanks again x

Minime85 Tue 23-Jun-15 07:13:15

And it seems like it's back again. Had swab taken at doctors but he made me feel like a time waster and only took it to appease me. It's really lowering and I just want to feel normal again down there!

U2TheEdge Tue 23-Jun-15 20:10:54

I always get thrush, at least once a month. I have had all the test, but this is just something I get.

I will only use the pessary as well. I put it in before bed and by the morning it is 80% better then 48 hours later completely gone.

Works for internal and external thrush. I don't bother with cream any more and the tablets always took over a week to work.

Minime85 Wed 24-Jun-15 06:39:48

Thanks U2theedge I think I'm going to try the pessary now. Pharmists said need to wait see what swab says before taking anything else so going to do my best to ride any symptoms out. Yogurt really soothing last night but just feels bizarre to be doing that!

U2TheEdge Wed 24-Jun-15 09:34:54

Yes, yoghurt, that coldness just feels great doesn't it?

Sleep with no underwear on as well.

I have it badly right now as well. I am due on and always get it just before my period.

DayLillie Wed 24-Jun-15 15:45:37

I have been using multigyn actigel to keep it at bay - use the gel rather than the applicators - less messy and works out cheaper. A bit on finger, swished round wink

Minime85 Wed 24-Jun-15 21:14:31

Daylille where can you get that from? I've not heard of that and been into pharmacists and googled and haven't come across it. I'll try anything. No symptoms all day and now driving me mad!

DayLillie Thu 25-Jun-15 11:23:56

www.amazon.co.uk/MultiGyn-Actigel-50ml-PACK-DEAL/dp/B00ULJY1SW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435225698&sr=8-2&keywords=multi-gyn+actigel00000000

You can get it on Amazon (not recommending this seller - just for illustration) and Boots sell it - in the embarrassing menopausal bit, next to the condoms, along with the vaginal moisturisers. It stings a bit grin

Minime85 Thu 25-Jun-15 16:28:25

Thank you I'll have a look. Sean shows no thrush so I'm wondering if it is BV but don't have any of the main symptoms. Back at doctors again! Thanks for advice everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now