Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there a way to tell if you're anaemic without a blood test?

(8 Posts)
ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Mon 08-Jun-15 20:45:19

First of all, I will be making a GP appointment as soon as I can. But in the mean time is there a way to tell myself?

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I feel tired all the time, have no energy and can't concentrate on anything. Even typing on here feels like hard work. I also keep getting random cravings for steak.

What else will happen at the GP apart from ordering blood tests?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 08-Jun-15 20:46:40

Pull down your bottom eye lid?

KirstyJC Mon 08-Jun-15 20:51:56

Check in a mirror - as Dame says, inside your eyelid will be very pale. Also your gums will be pale as well. And, if you're like I was, you will just look like shite.

moggiek Mon 08-Jun-15 21:44:00

Cracks at the sides of your mouth is a sign, too.

FennyBridges Mon 08-Jun-15 21:47:51

Fainting and breathlessness. Not together necessarily. Iron is in red blood cells which carry oxygen around the body. If your blood cells are smaller (less iron) you have less oxygen, hence breathlessness. Could equal excessive yawning; a biological reaction to get more oxygen inside you.

ToadsJustFellFromTheSky Mon 08-Jun-15 23:07:38

I forgot about the eyelid test. I've had a look though - looks very pale and my gums look pale too.

Clarella Tue 09-Jun-15 22:02:46

My eyes were fine but my gums were pale even after brushing - almost pale blue at one point. But it was my ferritin, my hb was actually a tad high. My ferritin was about 50 which wouldn't normally be an issue but due to thyroid issues it became one, and I had severe restless leg syndrome everywhere.

I noticed the gums changing the most.

Clarella Tue 09-Jun-15 22:03:50

I had frequent illnesses and chest infections too.

I've noticed I can breathe so much better now, and lungs don't hurt when I'm swimming or running v fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now