Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Time off work to have skin tag removed

(7 Posts)
helloworld2 Mon 08-Jun-15 14:37:50

I have plenty of annual leave and the day next week I wan toff for a minor procedure is free on the rota. Our company has a 3 week notice of requiring annual leave rule. Sadly my team leader is a stickler for the rules and will not give me the time off unless I produce a hospital letter. I am not having it done at hospital and there is no paperwork as it is being done at my GP surgery.

My choice is cancel the appointment or pay the fee for a GP letter (approx. £30) to show work.

Understandably I am niggled.

Has anyone experience of taking short notice annual leave without a GP note for a minor procedure? Do you need a costly letter of evidence?

SpottyTeacakes Mon 08-Jun-15 14:43:16

That's ridiculoushmm all the minor ops appts at work are sent out by letter. Have you tried speaking to a secretary to see if they will just do you a letter on headed paper? It won't need signing by a Dr so I see no reason for it to be charged (£16 for a statement of fact letter at our surgery).

What have your work said about it? Would an appointment card be enough? The receptionist can give you one.

SpottyTeacakes Mon 08-Jun-15 14:43:55

(Oh and I'm not calling you ridiculous by any means! More your surgery if they're not willing to help)

Musicaltheatremum Mon 08-Jun-15 16:39:56

Can you just show them the appointment card. (Or take it off sick. That would sort it . grin Your GPractice should not have to write a letter just because of your work's policies. That is a totally inappropriate use of their time.

helloworld2 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:37:39

I took a short notice cancellation appointment so there is no letter or written evidence for me to show work as we did it all over the phone with the receptionist booking me in.
All I need to do now is turn up and try not to moan too much if it hurts.
It is a good idea to get an appointment card but it will not show what I am having done. Would that do as evidence??

SpottyTeacakes Mon 08-Jun-15 17:44:29

You would have to ask your work I suppose? We always get asked for appts to be put on cards after the appt for parents to show the school hmm

Do they really not trust you enough to take your word for it?!

MatildaTheCat Mon 08-Jun-15 19:07:35

I would add that a hospital letter confirming your appointment would never, as far as I can think, say why you were coming in. It would simply confirm the date and time etc. definitely ask for a proper appointment card from the surgery and then tell your employer you won't be in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now