Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you tell if you definitely haven't broken a bone without xray?

(10 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sun 07-Jun-15 12:03:16

I'm trying to avoid a&e as don't want to waste time if this means it's not broken.

It's my wrist. I've had joint pain in both wrists for at least 3 months because of thyroid problems/something to do with a positive ana test.

The joint pain has been gone for about a week but there is pain in one wrist in a specific area which only hurts when I put pressure on my hand in a certain way, I.e. doing a press up, falling and reaching out and landing on it.

So my question is, it doesn't hurt when I prod it with my finger, so does this mean it's not broken and I don't need an xray?

Musicaltheatremum Sun 07-Jun-15 13:01:43

Have you fallen on it? If not it sounds more like a ligament problem. I wouldn't go to A&E for that.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 07-Jun-15 13:04:49

If it's been going on for three months then I would book a non urgent GP appointment and ask them. I believe the test for broken bones in places like wrists relates to range of movement (that's what doctors have done to me in the past when I've badly sprained things) rather than pain but I'm not 100% sure.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 07-Jun-15 19:09:36

Yes I have fallen on it a few times. Don't think it's ligament as it's not hurting too stretch it, but using it to pick up, land on, push with does hurt in a very particular place in a similar way to when I broke my foot. This particular pain has only been for a few weeks, but it's hard to tell apart from the joint pain I've had for months apart from that the joint pain has gone away and I'm left with this.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 07-Jun-15 19:11:01

I can flex it to a right angle, but if I then put pressure on it at that point it hurts a lot, but using my muscles to get it to that point doesn't hurt.

bittapitta Sun 07-Jun-15 19:13:29

You need get a referral from your GP (or even the practice nurse) for a hospital ultrasound scan/x-ray. At my hospital is the case that you need the referral letter and then you can use the "drop in" times at the hospital department. (Don't use A&E)

Kangaroo1 Sun 07-Jun-15 19:14:21

I would go to a&e I broke the top of my arm earlier this year. I saw the ambulance people on site who said I was fine because I could move it, went to a&e the next day because I was still in agony-turns out it was broken. Just being able to move it won't prove its not broken. sorry! I know how painful these things are

MoreSnowPlease Sun 07-Jun-15 19:17:29

That's the thing kangaroo when I broke my foot I was traveling and did nothing about it f (apart from limp) for months and when I eventually for an xray I was in agony because I had hurt all the muscles around it with the limping!

bitta that's sounds like a good way to do it, didn't know you could do that, thanks!

Kangaroo1 Sun 07-Jun-15 19:34:08

Yes, I'm lucky to have a minor injuries unit near me which means I didn't need to use a&he. Good luck, I hope it isn't broken

MoreSnowPlease Sun 07-Jun-15 19:49:18

I think my minor injuries unit may be part of my a&e, is that possible? I say that because I have been to a&e before and they assessed me in triage and then put me in majors.... So if there is a majors, there must be a minors right?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now