Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone really like the mirena?

(16 Posts)
Clarella Thu 04-Jun-15 17:18:46

And noticed no side effects?

I'm considering its use for hms, but pms and weight is currently good etc.

tabulahrasa Thu 04-Jun-15 17:25:44

I love it, I'm on my third.

No periods, less PMT and my weight is entirely dependant on my diet and exercise.

LosingNemo Thu 04-Jun-15 17:28:32

Am on second coil. No noticeable side effects (other than no periods, hurray!). Second time round, more bleeding, am only 4 weeks post fit so hopefully it'll stop soon (only started a short while ago - not 4 full weeks of bleeding!).

LosingNemo Thu 04-Jun-15 17:30:07

Ps - am mning whilst parenting, and misread your post as - anyone really like the NAME Mirena. Was a bithmm for a while...

Dumpylump Thu 04-Jun-15 17:31:34

I'm very happy with it - am on my third one now and have had no problems...or periods, which suits me just fine!

MatildaTheCat Thu 04-Jun-15 17:38:55

Due to get mine changed. Have had one after the other since 1995. Does that answer your question? grin

Seriously, there is a slight hormonal shift at the beginning. I can get a bit spotty. The upsides outweigh the down by a very long distance IMO. I can never understand it when people have been advised to get one and won't even try,there is a lot to gain and not much to lose. Out of the many people I know who've had one, only one didn't get on with it so she had it taken out.

Cocoaone Thu 04-Jun-15 17:49:17

Love mine, although I would love it more if my periods had completely stopped. Used to have quite light periods, with the coil I now get spotting or (TMI alert) brown/old blood for a few days instead.

Get less tender breasts now. Everything else the same.

dun1urkin Thu 04-Jun-15 17:51:49

Am getting my 4th next week!
No real periods, just a bit of spotting and not every month.

hospitalworry Thu 04-Jun-15 17:53:17

Love it

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 04-Jun-15 17:54:14

Love mine, though did put on weight with the first one. No real periods, hormones very even, etc. My doc at the Well Woman said it could potentially take me over the menopause without me even noticing! (That may not be a plus for everyone though...)

Wotsup Thu 04-Jun-15 17:56:43

Didn't get used to the idea of this think being in my 'flue'. (I have had a hip replacement that feels more 'me'. I lost my libido.

I smiled when I passed the sanitary stuff in supermarkets 'cos it saved me LOADS of money not having to buy them anymore! My heavy periods which prevented me going out completely stopped.

I had it taken out after 4 years. Hoping that I'm through the menopause.

The pain on removing it has stopped me from EVER having another!!!

Wotsup Thu 04-Jun-15 17:57:38

'thing' not think :-)

tootiredtothink Thu 04-Jun-15 18:33:06

Love mine. Bled on and off for first 12 weeks then not a period since.

Periods used to last 10 days and really took over my life.

I'd say go for it.

I'm on my second, I love, love, love them, no downsides at all, no problems with fitting and removing for me either.

Clarella Thu 04-Jun-15 19:06:50

Thank you for your responses!

My periods are calming down post baby; prior to preg they were pretty light and regular. They came back in dec. I've had some iron and thyroid issues, both been good for last 3 months.

I've never had period pain either (don't shoot me) nor much pms really, so I'm reluctant to upset the apple cart so to speak.

It's the way my bastard joints play up, at ovulation and two days before period, and a bit after period, but my cycle is 25 days so it comes round quickly!

However, I'm wondering whether to see how things go for another couple of months (been doing lots of physio) now thyroid and iron good.

So don't want to fire pan fire iykwim.

baaaabaaaaabaaaa Thu 04-Jun-15 20:18:26

My Dr Keeps trying to persuade me to have one. No matter what I go for - sore knee, back pain, breast lump -Mirena will fix it apparently. Obviously no targets to hit or commission for fitting it then!

My best friend is its biggest advocat. She swears by it (she used to heave periods from hell). SHe is on her third and could be on TV advertising it the way she sings it praises. She is one very happy customer. To be fair most people I know who have had one or have one are very happy.

BUT

I know of 3 people in completely different parts of the UK (not the same HA) who have had problems and pain. They have all been left waiting for months and months (give it a few more weeks, next Gp visit, just give it a few more weeks and so on) for it to settle down - being left with constant/sporadic bleeding and hell of alot of pain and discomfort. The biggest problem for all of them at different stages wanting to call it a day has been finding someone willing to take it out. They just get fobbed off with being told it will settle down and it may take a while but hey they will get there one day. One friend had to stand her ground pretty firmly and demand it was removed as there is a real reluctance to remove it.

It is this that does not sit comfortably with me. The simple fact that you need to have a HCP to agree to remove it. You cannot remove it yourself (well I have seen people on here say they have,but its not recommended). The thought of having something inside me I cannot remove when I choose, frightens me.

Yes these friends (with pain etc) of mine are the minority. I have lots more friends happy as larry living with all the wonderful benefits Mirena offers but if for any reason you want it out,you have to wait until a health professional is willing to do it.You would think that was very very simple and straightforward but unless you absolutely demand it - they wont remove it, but encourage you to wait 6 months or so for things to settle down.

Just something my friends have warned me about and not something I had considered when I was offered the Mirena when I went for my sore knee!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now