Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Level with me. How long will it take to recover from laparoscopy?

(19 Posts)
SnakeyMcBadass Sun 31-May-15 12:50:22

And how painful will it be? Any tips? I'm going in tomorrow. Doc expects to find endometriosis and will remove what he finds. I had a hysteroscopy and polypectomy 2 months ago and it was about 5 days before I felt ok again.

SnakeyMcBadass Sun 31-May-15 16:02:01

Anyone?

PerspicaciaTick Sun 31-May-15 16:05:36

5-7 days sounds about right to me.
Good luck flowers

MagpieCursedTea Sun 31-May-15 16:06:04

It was quite a few years ago that I had mine. However, I remember feeling sore for a couple of days but managed with paracetamol. Had the surgery in the morning, woke up in time for a sandwich for lunch and home by teatime. Completely back to normal within a week I think. Good luck!

Babymamamama Sun 31-May-15 16:14:36

I posted on a similar query last week I think. I had the treatment you are going to have. The worst was the sore shoulder immediately after the op which is common after a lap. I took pain killers for the first week and had a very lazy week of recuperation. At no point was I in any more than very mild pain. The difference it made to my subsequent periods was amazing and I was so pleased I braved the surgery. It also sorted out my infertility as a result of endo. Sending you all best wishes. Take a good book as there may be some waiting around before the op.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 31-May-15 18:33:36

A lap op is usually done when endometriosis is suspected.

The worse thing I found about it was the post operative pain in the shoulders which lasted about 24 hours in all; the CO2 gas used to give the surgeon a better view of the organs travels upwards.

Painkillers took the edge off it but it still hurt. I was also advised to take two days off work post op and I was glad that I did. Felt better after about 3 days post op. I was a day case and discharged that evening.

I would ensure that you have a follow up appointment a week or so post op to discuss the operation's findings. You do not want to be talked to in the recovery room about this, this is also bad practice.

I can give you some questions to ask re the findings post lap if you so wish.

PerspicaciaTick Sun 31-May-15 19:05:44

Mint tea seemed to help with the burping gas-related pain.

SnakeyMcBadass Mon 01-Jun-15 20:20:32

Thought I'd update. I had endometrial deposits on my right ovary and the muscle and ligaments behind the uterus. Three incisions. The pain was quite sharp initially, so I had some lovely morphine. I'm now taking codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol. Still groggy from the anaesthetic.

DieSchottin93 Mon 01-Jun-15 20:42:44

Ooh, I'm having a lap to try and remove a cyst some time in the near future but I'll probably have to fly back from Germany for it :/ do you reckon after a week I'd be able to fly back?

MagpieCursedTea Mon 01-Jun-15 20:43:07

Hope you feel better soon thanks

RandomMess Mon 01-Jun-15 20:46:19

Hope you feel better soon, I had womb ablation and sterilisation was supposed to be a 4 hour discharge, I was in hospital for 4 days!!! It's a very individual thing so take it easy. Voltoral can be really helpful too and peppermint tea for the gas issue!

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 02-Jun-15 06:31:14

Worst. Night. Ever.

The good drugs have worn off so I'm sore, but the DSs were on a school trip to the theatre last night. DS2 got home and said he felt sick, blamed ot on late night, sweets, hot theatre etc. Half an hour after they got into bed, DS1 threw up everywhere in his sleep. Wall, bed, carpet, his own hair. He's 14, so obviously mortified. I daren't risk picking up a sickness bug so soon after surgery. DH is having to do everything. The bath is full of vomity bedding.

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 02-Jun-15 13:01:19

Is it normal to be so uncomfortable? Moving position hurts. I have intense stutch type pains throughout my abdomen. I miss oramorph.

HelenF350 Tue 02-Jun-15 13:03:40

Took me 3 weeks but that's only because I had a very bad urine infection afterwards. If not I would have been back to work within a week.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 02-Jun-15 13:46:05

I think I had three main sorts of pain.
1) horrific wind pains in stomach, chest and shoulder - eased by burping and vast amounts of hot mint tea.

2) pain from stitches - turned out they had put a stitch into a bit of spare skin away from the actual wound site, so it was pulling all the time.

3) a very bruised feeling inside - like someone had battered all my internal organs.

So it was really uncomfortable for a couple of days, mostly spent sitting around propped up on cushions drinking mint tea and tottering to the toilet. Then I felt loads better quite quickly - presumably once the gas was gone and the healing kicked in.

I don't remember feeling like sharp internal pains though.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 02-Jun-15 13:47:01

And meant to send manly shoulder punches to your DS, your DH and you - sounds like you've had one hell of a 24 hours.

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 02-Jun-15 16:48:04

Thanks. I am most miserable. Still, there is cake.

RandomMess Tue 02-Jun-15 21:17:31

Not to mention just recovering from the anaesthetic...

Honestly 2 weeks off work, 1 week part time for me.

If I did too much it hurt and I was just generally exhausted!

SnakeyMcBadass Mon 08-Jun-15 13:44:17

Just updating. A week post surgery and I'm feeling much better. Still a bit tender and my belly button scar seems to be a tiny cock sad, but still. I get tired quickly still but am definitely more myself. Hoping to walk the dogs in the next few days and get fully back to normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now