Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Change in periods

(4 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Fri 29-May-15 22:58:12

Right this is a bit gross but I'm going to come right out with it. And sorry if I seem naive, I'm 29 but not many female friends to talk about this with

My DD is nearly 9 months old and since her birth my periods have been really heavy, like needing to change a super plus tampon every 2 hours in the day time for the first day or 2 and needing to wear a pad as well just in case. Then a similar pattern but with super tampon days 3 and 4. Then it suddenly stops at day 5. I struggled at work as I'm having to think where a loo is and take a change of clothes in my locker. I'm exhausted during my period and for a week after.

Before I had my DD they were so light I could barely use tampons.

Is this an issue worth visiting a GP over or will I be laughed out the building? My mum in law says its normal for periods to change after a baby but this seems extreme? Thanks

tobee Sat 30-May-15 01:22:55

Go to the GP. You will not be laughed at. If they do it's time to change GPs. You should not go on like this without it being investigated. There are lots of things that could cause this bleeding and lots of things that they can offer you to help you. It's not just the massive inconvenience, if you go on like this you could become seriously anaemic and that has a whole host of unpleasant side effects. I speak from personal experience. You are a young, working mother. You need to be well for your daughter. Please make an appointment as soon as possible to set the wheels in motion. Yes periods can change after childbirth, but, you said it yourself, what your experiencing appears extreme. Good luck and take care of yourself.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 30-May-15 09:28:58

What Tobee wrote in its entirety; becoming anaemic as a result of such blood loss is a real possibility here.

Go to the GP asap and no you will not be laughed at. If the GP practice proves to be unhelpful then look for another GP practice.

You should be referred to a gynae, such changes to periods should always be investigated properly. This type of issue as well is outside a GPs general remit so further investigation is necessary.

U2TheEdge Sat 30-May-15 12:47:18

Hi OP

My periods changed like this after the birth of my 5th child. I also think it is pretty common for periods to change when you get to your 30's. I know a lot of my friend's got much heavier at that age as well.

I am now very heavy like you, but I was never as light as you before. It is horrible isn't it? I did see a GP when I (TMI) passed a massive golf ball sized clot and got in a panic. He didn't laugh at me and sent me for blood tests. I need to go back again really as he didn't suggest much else except the pill.

Taking neurofen the day it starts twice a day has helped a little but I'm unsure if it is safe to take them long term like that.

Go see your GP smile I am sure it is nothing to worry about but always best to report drastic changes like that as the other pps said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now