Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sinuses

(1 Post)
Peaceloveandhobnobs Mon 18-May-15 10:59:08

Ever since I was a child I've suffered dreadfully with colds. They knock me out for weeks and make me look fairly pathetic to friends and colleagues. As a child I had near-constant ear infections and tonsillitis. Had adenoids and tonsils out, and grommets in my ears, and separately had my sinuses widened as I couldn't breathe through my nose or blow my nose.
I still can't really breathe through my nose without consciously thinking about it (makes visits to the dentist a nightmare), and when I'm in bed, if I lie on one side my nostrils completely close, and then open again when I roll onto the other side.
I'm currently on day nine of a cold and I feel as horrendous as I did at the beginning. My ears and nose are blocked so I can't speak or hear very well. I'm on maternity leave with a five month old baby and can barely get up off the sofa to change his nappy (lying on the floor with CBeebies on won't kill him, right?). If I was still working I'd have had to take time off sick. My work history is so patchy because of this. It sounds so pathetic but I just cannot function when I get a cold; it hits me like flu would anyone else.
Now, I also have an underactive thyroid and anaemia which I'm sure both have a detrimental effect on my immunity, but can anyone think of a physical reason why I feel so bloody awful when it's "just a cold"? Or does anyone else experience something similar? I'm so worn down now after thirty years of upper respiratory misery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now