Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid? Or just general everyday life?

(5 Posts)
thobblywighs Fri 15-May-15 06:57:39

I know that nobody can be diagnosed on the internet but I can't decide whether to bother the GP with this and don't know of it's just down to normal life, working full time and having 2 children... Hating the job at the moment.
For the last year or so I have got heavier, despite nothing changing in terms of diet. My periods have got heavier and closer together while I'm bleeding on and off throughout the month. Last smear fine 18 months ago. When I saw GP about it around that time, I had an ultrasound and they concluded that it was hormonal. My hair is falling out and I feel generally wiped out. Usually in bed by 8.30, 9 at the latest. I can't concentrate and seem to be forgetful and can't be bothered.
Does this sound like something that is medical or should I just try and find a grip from somewhere?? Getting a GP appointment before or after school hours is really hard so don't want to jump through that hoop if it will be pointless. (Can't go during school hours which gives you a clue as to the job and the culture there!)
Thanks, if you have read this far!

thobblywighs Fri 15-May-15 07:01:10

I'm 46.

Iggi999 Fri 15-May-15 07:01:17

You are very stoical but I would have been to the GPs with any one of those symptoms. You need to stay fit for your dcs, if you find it hard to ask for help just for your own benefit! If you're a teacher you could easily end up being one who is signed off for months - better to take a day off even to get this sorted. I have an under active thyroid, some of your symptoms do sound indicative of that but not regarding bleeding - I'm sure that should be checked out. Please get proper medical advice, to stop me worrying about you at least!

thobblywighs Sat 16-May-15 16:15:46

Thanks. Holidays coming up so will get myself over to the dr then. I did wonder about my thyroid. Less concerned about bleeding as they said last time that they were pretty sure it was hormonal.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 16-May-15 18:33:36

You need to see the GP and have blood tests done; your thyroid gland may well be out of sync.

Bleeding between periods should be checked out anyway to establish the cause; its often not serious but it should be checked.

This is a good non woo website to look at:-
www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now