Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Adhesions causing pain after c section

(4 Posts)
Coastingit Wed 13-May-15 14:26:08

I'm only 5 days post section, but I'm healing well. But I have excruciating pain at one side of my scar which the doc said is because I have adhesions?

It's my second section, and I didn't have anything like this level of pain following my first. The pain hasn't subsided at all and is worse whenever I walk around, so although the midwives are telling me to get up and about to help me heal, I am sticking to lying in bed because it doesn't hurt then! I had a shower this morning, first one at home but the third since the birth and the pain almost made me vomit it was like walking with a knife sticking out of me.

What can I expect recovery wise? Will the adhesions cause me pain for ages? Will I need surgery to remove them at some point?

bonzo77 Wed 13-May-15 14:34:21

Wrt to adhesions it's too early to say what the outcome will be.

5 days is still early enough to be experiencing significant post op pain, and I'm a bit hmm that anyone can diagnose it as definitely adhesions so early on. At 5 days post natal I think you should still be able to contact maternity triage at the hospital where you had the cs for advice. I don't recall serious pain by day 5 after either of my cs.

bonzo77 Wed 13-May-15 14:39:20

Sorry, didn't really answer your questions!

Recovery is very variable. Sorry, not helpful!

Adhesions are caused by surgery, so more surgery will probably cause more, not improve the situation. I believe that once healed it is possible to soften them with massage, ultrasound etc. they may get better, worse or not change over time. I know that at my 2nd cs they found significant adhesions which complicated the surgery, and am I'm intrigued as to what they'll find when they do my 3rd in 4 months time!

Quitelikely Wed 13-May-15 14:43:15

Have you pooped yet? My painkillers they gave me caused a terrible blockage which was protruding into my scar, causing unbelievable pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now