Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

early diagnosis of osteoparosis

(14 Posts)
BadgersArse Tue 12-May-15 07:19:58

My mother ( who has it) wants me to do to Dr to get checked out as i have splitting nails, apparently a symptom

I think she is barking mad and will be laughed out of town
Have any of you been and been Dxed?

BadgersArse Tue 12-May-15 07:25:51

which I spelled wrong

osteoporosis

redshoeblueshoe Tue 12-May-15 07:38:53

Both my parents had it. I won't be going to the Drs any time soon. I have never heard of splitting nails as a symptom.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 12-May-15 07:48:26

Have you looked up symptoms? Split nails is probably a minor mineral deficiency. Have you broken any bones?

Did your mother get it early in life?

But, I think, after reading a bit about it, if there does seem to be a connection with nails, if you want to your GP and said 'I know this is probably ridiculous but...' They'll tell you if there could be any concern or not.

A friend of mind was diagnosed mid-30s, which was really good as treatment is helpful. But that was after multiple broken bones and it's very, very unusual.

CuttedUpPear Tue 12-May-15 08:00:05

I have osteoporosis.
Splitting nails was my first symptom.
I am now on a high daily dose of calcium and weekly bone plasticiser.
This is all good preventative stuff to safeguard your bones in the future.
The inside is that my nails are now strong and fast growing!

Go and get that Dexa bone scan, you have nothing to lose.

CuttedUpPear Tue 12-May-15 08:00:38

The upside, not the inside.

mousmous Tue 12-May-15 08:04:20

with your history + potential symptom, yes go to the gp.

noddyholder Tue 12-May-15 13:59:34

I had a bone density scan 4 years ago and was found to have ostopenia (sp) which I think is the precursor and I had splitty hair and nails at the time. They prescribed drugs which I took twice and was sick as a dog and then started me in vit d My last 2 scans have shown no further deterioration adn a slight increase in density

SirBobblysock Tue 12-May-15 14:03:48

A lot of my female relatives had it severely (including my mother). I went for a bone density scan and was diagnosed in my mid 40s (no broken bones and never noticed my nails splitting). It's quite severe in my spine and I am taking prescription medication. There's a lot you can do to slow progress, so think it's worth asking for a DEXA scan if you have a strong family history.

pinkfrocks Tue 12-May-15 14:38:54

splitting nails and low bone density is a myth. Splitting nails are due to a lack of moisture not calcium.

I have nails as hard as rocks and was diagnosed with osteopenia at 47. No risk factors. I now have scans every 3 years. I have so far stopped the rot and increased my bones back to normal with better diet, calcium & vit D, exercise and HRT.

You need to take it seriously OP as it's hereditary for many women.

noddyholder Tue 12-May-15 14:42:41

My consultants don't seem to think so and a few women in my clinic have definitely had splitting nails. Mine have improved

noddyholder Tue 12-May-15 14:43:33

You can still have strong nails an have low density I think like lots of indicators you don't get them all Worth getting checked out

BadgersArse Tue 12-May-15 18:17:28

So I should prob go. Thanks all

CuttedUpPear Tue 12-May-15 22:57:02

pinkfrocks speak for yourself, splitting nails were definitely one of my symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now