Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Suggestions for father who had stroke

(3 Posts)
SycamoreMum Mon 11-May-15 21:41:24

I'm not sure this is in the right place but here goes...

My darling dad had a severe stroke in March. For a week we didn't know if he was going to make it but he's really turned in the right direction. He's awake, sitting up, eating normal food and talking. He seems to have most of his memory which is the best news.

He was a computer engineer before this happened and has always been the best at fixing anything technical. At my visit today he mentioned that sadly he looks at technical things/gadgets and doesn't understand how they work anymore. He's ok with mobiles and browsing the web etc however anything like fixing a glitch he cant do 😔 its breaking my heart because that was one of the brilliant things about him.

I was wondering if there was anything anyone could suggest like games, apps, puzzles etc that might help retrain that part of his brain. He's paralysed on the left hand side at moment so I'm really stuck as to what to get him. Any help appreciated smile

myangle Tue 12-May-15 01:22:49

Hi my relatives had a stoke and he was in his 30 When it happened. his been taking medication for 30 years now. But we saw vast improvement when he started to follow

1- reading up on by dr mercola advice on his website
2- reading up on advice by Dr. Bob the drugless doctor
3- take youngevity suppliments.it was recommended to us from family friends in the usa. I personally have listened to Dr Joel Wallach on coast to coast am and Alex Jones, but never brought the product. So it was good to get real recommendations.

I am not sure if this will help you. But I can see it is working for him, and he hasnt been taking the suppliments long or reading up on this thing. I guess gaining knowledge and then being optimistic about what you abbr done wrong and how to self heal, is always a good thing.

Good luck. And let us know how your dad gets on.

Thanks

Almostfifty Tue 12-May-15 08:22:08

Get My Stroke of Insight, by Jill Bolte Taylor. It's the story of a neuroanatomist who had a stroke.

She gives you ideas to kickstart recovery. It gave me hope when someone close to me had a stroke. At first we played card games, built lego type things, they worked well.

We're six months down the line and in a very different position to two months in. You see a big difference in six months, he's still a long way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now