Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this normal-uti related

(8 Posts)
cuntyMcCunterson Mon 11-May-15 19:57:00

4 weeks ago I was given a 3 day course of trimethoprim for a UTI which seemed to clear things up.
Today I had to go to my gp with awful pelvic pain and generally feeling a bit meh (different to how I was feeling the last time). The Dr didn't take any obs, ask for or test a urine sample and just gave me another 3day course of trimethoprim. I was in and out in the blink of an eye!
Is this normal?

MugsLife Tue 12-May-15 11:26:04

Maybe have a look at my recent thread - it's currently on page three in here called: Need to wee all the time, but not cystitus (apologies for bad spelling).

Driving me made as it's been weeks now and really in pain again today.

cuntyMcCunterson Tue 12-May-15 13:40:31

Thanks I'll have a look. I just found it very strange that there was no examination just a prescription handed over and away I went.

Graceymac Sat 16-May-15 22:40:41

The doctor should have taken a sample and sent it to the lab for culture and sensitivity testing if it was thought that you may have a UTI. Take the antibiotics and if no improvement or if you feel worse before they are finished go back and insist on having a sample sent off.

cuntyMcCunterson Mon 18-May-15 21:27:41

Thanks, the antibiotics have taken the pain away but I'm still weeing a lot. I've managed to get a sample bottle and will be dropping a urine sample in tomorrow.

molecule01 Tue 19-May-15 12:37:37

I had these sort of symptoms and was tested for everything from cystitis to an ovarian cyst via bladder investigations etcetera. I had four lots of antibiotics during this time too, full bloods taken twice and several hospital visits. The final thing I had done , after months of pain, wee ing, invisible blood in my urine samples , was a ct scan of my kidneys and there was the culprit. A large kidney stone. This was a surprise to me as I'd never had one before and hadn't even considered it
So do bear it in mind that this is what it could be

cuntyMcCunterson Tue 19-May-15 13:10:57

I hope you're all sorted now.
The first uti I did have back pain and they mentioned kidneys but didn't suggest any other treatment that the 3 day antibiotics. This time it was all pelvic pain and weeing far too much. I've handed my sample in so hopefully they'll tell me if I need any further medication or if everything is now ok

molecule01 Tue 19-May-15 13:59:20

I never had any back pain with my kidney stone. All pelvic pain , slightly to one side

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now