Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constipation. Yet another poo thread

(7 Posts)
Germgirl Mon 11-May-15 09:13:01

Can't be bothered to NC.
Back story - I'm having bariatric surgery tomorrow. Because of this I've been on a soup / yogurt diet for the last 2 weeks.
This, coupled with the fact that I know I don't drink enough water means that I'm very very very constipated.
So this morning I decided it's time to sort out my bowels before I have my op tomorrow.
So I used a Bisacodyl suppository. They usually work.
I had no urge to go for over an hour but then the fun started. My bum is 'contracting' but nothing is coming out. I've sat on the loo for about the last 2 hours and nothing. I've strained & strained, my body is trying and trying to expel poo but nothing.
So about an hour ago I thought I'd try an enema. I had bought one a while ago & not used it.
I managed to only get about 1/4 of the fluid in before it got too painful. Then all that happened was I pooed out all the water. But no poo.
I'm having visions of me having to have a man go up there with 'instruments'
I have to have this op tomorrow. What can I do??!!

TheSpottedZebra Mon 11-May-15 09:18:39

Suggest you phone the ward. You should have contact info on your admissions doc. If you're at enema level, then all suggestions of warm water/prunes etc will be of no use!

Best wishes for surgery and for a quick recovery.

3littlefrogs Mon 11-May-15 09:18:58

Are you sure there is any poo there?
There can't be much in your system if you have had nothing but soup and yogurt for 2 weeks.

Sorry you are suffering - it sounds very uncomfortable.

What did the surgeon advise about bowel prep before surgery?

3littlefrogs Mon 11-May-15 09:22:43

If you really are "bunged up" glycerine suppositories are good. You need to use 2, insert them as high as you can, and hold them in for 20 minutes.

Much better and gentler than Bisacodyl.

Germgirl Mon 11-May-15 09:26:18

There's no bowel prep pre op, it's a sleeve gastrectomy (stomach stapling) so no bowel involvement, it 'feels' like there's a massive ball of hard poo which needs to come out. I feel bunged up.
I don't even know which ward I'll be on! I've got to report to the admissions unit tomorrow at 12 & won't know the ward until I'm on it! I think I'll be in HDU the first night anyway.
I've phoned my gp & am awaiting a telephone consultation.
This is horrible. My poor bum! sad

Germgirl Mon 11-May-15 10:20:12

The pain & 'contractions' have settled down. Dare I try the rest of the enema?

3littlefrogs Tue 12-May-15 21:02:58

I hope it all went ok.
flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now