Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pre-Diabetes?

(3 Posts)
tillyvanilli Thu 07-May-15 09:27:54

I have a question regarding fasting blood sugar levels. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my second baby. I always felt my results were borderline and to an extent questioned if it was a valid diagnosis as it was only my fasting rate that I struggled to keep below the ridiculously challenging blood sugar levels. That said, even major dietary changes and metformin failed to make a difference and I ended up taking insulin. Late in my pregnancy, it was suggested that I may in fact have LADA as I did not fit the usual Type 2 profile. However, thankfully my antibody tests came back clear and I got the all clear 8 weeks after my baby was born. My question relates to continuing high fasting levels. Typically around 5.8 -5.9. I know this is not high in the scheme of things but I eat a diet very low in sugar and carbohydrates. My GP is not concerned as it is below the diabetic threshold, but I am considering having another baby and at this level I fear I would fall straight back into the gestational diabetes category as they typically want a fasting rate of 5 and below. There is no history of diabetes in my family and have a healthy BMI but the thought of having to go through the whole medicalised process of having a baby with a diagnosis of gestational diabetes is seriously giving me pause for thought. Any advice gratefully received.

lotsofcheese Fri 08-May-15 21:57:47

It sounds like your blood glucose levels are within the upper end of normal, and you are correct in saying that they are currently above targets required in pregnancy.

It's reasonably likely that you would develop gestational diabetes again, and would be tested earlier in any subsequent pregnancies.
Do you still have the contact details for your diabetes nurse or consultant? They should be able to discuss the implications of a future pregnancy for you & give some pre-conception all advice.

tillyvanilli Mon 11-May-15 11:50:10

Thanks so much for your reply. I suspect my fasting rate has always been high. It was 6.1 this morning. However I was never tested until I had my second baby and only then because I was over 35. Metformin and dietary changes did nothing for me last time so no doubt will be back on insulin again if I do go ahead. Seems strange to me that this level is acceptable in a non-pregnant woman but way over the guideline (which was 5 at my hospital) when you are pregnant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now