Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vitamin B12 injections and Acne

(8 Posts)
ThreeFroglets Mon 04-May-15 13:37:13

I have seen loads of threads here with people saying how great they feel after B12 injections.....

I have awful heavy periods, so was tested for anaemia, iron levels were fine, but B12 was 165. So, I had the loading doses in December and immediately after the first injections started to get big boil type spots. They got worse and more wide spread, saw GP who said they were allergic cysts and not to have any more B12 injections and not to try tablet form supplements either.

I am still covered in massive spots, along with black heads and white heads. They are on my scalp, neck, back, chest, stomach, tops of arms and shoulders, hips and a particularly nasty one hiding in my pubic hair blush

I am diabetic which made them slow to heal, so my GP prescribed antibiotics....which I was allergic to hmm so I had to stop those and was given steroids. The steroids did help with the biggest ones, but I've had two courses now and once they stop, the spots come back just as bad.

I thought maybe this acne would just run it's course and gradually go away once the B12 was out of my system, but it is just carrying on and on.

Anyone else had any experience of acne caused by B12? Or allergy to B12? I found this and I am allergic to most of the things on the list (and tons more) but would love to know how much longer this is likely to last, GP isn't sure.

FabULouse Mon 04-May-15 14:02:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ThreeFroglets Mon 04-May-15 15:35:50

Hi, I have very good control, my doctor and diabetes nurse are very pleased with me! I am on gliclazide, 80mg a day.

ThreeFroglets Tue 05-May-15 12:37:27

Bump!

ThreeFroglets Fri 08-May-15 14:32:19

Just me then? hmm

redautumnleaves Fri 08-May-15 15:16:08

I've known a few people have these injections but none of them have had such a reaction.
Can you ask your GP for a referral to a dermatologist?
Are you allergic to all antibiotics? Have you tried ant topical antibiotic.
Sorry if not helpful but at least it's bumped.

ThreeFroglets Sat 09-May-15 00:41:57

Oops, that was supposed to be a confused face (posted on phone)

Thanks for replying.....I have been referred to a dermatologist for my other allergies, had some blood tests and waiting on follow up.

Ironically, it was the dermatologist that picked up the B12 deficiency and recommended the injections.

I was prescribed Tetracycline antibiotics which are for skin infections, had an allergic reaction and then had Penicillin for tonsillitis which I've always been fine with, but had a reaction to that too so my GP has said I can only take Erythromycin antibiotics now, which worked on the throat but not the acne!

Haven't tried topical antibiotics, GP seemed to think that using an emollient woud be a good idea as my skin is very sore, but I am only using that sparingly because I think it makes spots worse.

dermarella Wed 17-Aug-16 14:09:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now