Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lump above collar bone

(13 Posts)
Georgina89 Sat 02-May-15 10:13:32

So, I have just found a small rubbery moveable lump just above my collar bone. I also have a swollen lymph node in the back of my neck.

Dr Google tells me this is bad. I am now terrified that I have cancer. Can anyone give me any positive stories about collar bone lumps that turned out to be nothing.

Obviously, it had to happen over the bank holiday weekend, but I will be calling the Dr on Tuesday.

BigPawsBrown Sat 02-May-15 13:16:15

I had exacts and thing and remember the terror well. Google is not very reassuring about supraclavical nodes, is it? I thought I might have secondary cancer!!

I have two above my left collarbone and GP just felt them and said only go back if they grow. It's been four years and they haven't smile

Georgina89 Sat 02-May-15 15:54:27

Thanks BigPawsBrown, Google is terrifying for collar bone lumps. I hope this turns out to be a fatty lump, but my brain is thinking all sorts of horrible outcomes.

Georgina89 Sun 03-May-15 09:50:43

Has anyone else got any positive stories? Sat here convinced I have some form of cancer, but no idea which one.

stonelog Sun 03-May-15 15:42:16

I had one about six weeks ago. It's gone now so must have been part of that awful 100 day viral infection thing that has been going round. God that one lingered; I haven't had so many lymph node swellings since Glandular fever!

Georgina89 Sun 03-May-15 15:52:06

Thank you stonelog, but the worrying thing is I haven't been ill for ages.

Le1890 Tue 05-May-15 00:49:55

I've had something at my collarbone for about 4 years. I googled and worried myself sick. Infact it took me about 2 years to finally believe doctors, consultants and scans that it was just a piece of fatty tissue. It's never changed in all the years.

I'm not sure of that's what yours could be? But if you feel both sides of your collarbone there a lots of fatty bits deep down. There are lots of things it could be other than the worst. It may be that the neck one is not connected.

Have you been to the gp to get his/her advice?x

Georgina89 Tue 05-May-15 14:29:10

Thanks Le1890, have been to the Drs. Blood tests on Thursday and a referral for scans and maybe a biopsy.

Still scared, but pleased I am getting it sorted. Couldn't tell from the Dr if it was serious or not.

QTPie Wed 06-May-15 16:37:36

Take care, stay positive, take one day at a time.

If you have ANY doubt, insist on a needle biopsy. My mum had a swollen tender node near her collarbone. Got it checked by an oncologist in Feb: had ultrasound and told "nothing sinister". In Marxg she was in hospital for something completely unrelated, but one of the physicians found an abnormality eith Her breast. Since diagnosed with breast cancer, the surgical consultant was not worried about the lymph node near her collarbone, but did biopsy the one under her arm - which came back positive. Back to the oncologist, I oressed for a biopsy of that original swollen collarbone node and it then came back positive. In my mum's case it won't make a massive difference (a couple of months difference in diagnosis). BUT she was very lucky that the hospital doctor picked up the Breast abnormality... (Since the oncologist didn't duagnose the node through clinical inspection or ultrasound). Needle biopsy is much more accurate and can give more peace of mind.

It could be very innocent, but from experience (right now), I would want thorough testing to give me peace of mind.

Take care and very best wishes.

Georgina89 Wed 06-May-15 21:52:59

Thank you QTPie, I will ask for all the tests.
I hope your mum is ok.

QTPie Wed 06-May-15 22:38:13

Best wishes Georgina. It is good to rule out things and regain peace of mind.

She is doing very well: being pragmatic and taking each day at a time.

Take care and hang in there x

Loubz Fri 14-Oct-16 19:30:28

Sorry, it's an old thread but just wondering what happened with this please? Thank you

verystressedmum Sat 15-Oct-16 18:42:56

Is there a reason you are wondering about this Loubz are you ok?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now