Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Detangling hair

(16 Posts)
Vesta12 Wed 29-Apr-15 13:08:08

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a hair detangler without any chemicals? My DD's hair looks like a bird's nest and we have tears and tantrums daily when I brush it because of all the knots! The ones I've seen on the shelves are very chemically, which I don't like, and also rather expensive.
Thanks.

MTBMummy Wed 29-Apr-15 14:01:00

Not strictly a detangler, but I use a cheap version of argon oil on my hair which is very thick and frizzy and turns into a rats nest after being washed.

TheMoa Wed 29-Apr-15 14:04:12

We just use conditioner, and the tangles fall right out.

I suppose they are 'chemically', but so is everything else. It doesn't make it harmful.

We wash hair every second day or so out of habit, which probably helps.

CrumblyMumbly Wed 29-Apr-15 14:07:20

Marking my place after having to cut knots out of my dd's hair as last resort. I leave conditioner on for ages, tried coconut oil, various detangling sprays, leave in conditioners - her toiletries outnumber mine! Screams at sight of tangle teezer and even if I get it as smooth as poss - by next morning the curl monster has been and we're back to square one...sorry not to have helped!

kirstygreer Wed 29-Apr-15 17:51:48

Can highly recommend this one -
It smells fab, deters nits, is easy to use every day and is even SLS free so is suitable for those of us with sensitive skin. Not chemically at all, just like a fruit smelling mist. I use it every day on my girls. Looks expensive but lasts for ages, and is often on offer at Boots or Wiatrose

childsfarm.myshopify.com/products/get-unknotted-hair-detangler-for-flowing-locks

Branleuse Wed 29-Apr-15 18:02:36

the best conditioner for my daughters hair is the cheap alberto balsam raspberry one. Its about a quid. I do try and use natural stuff normally but ive given up with her and gone back to this one. Its brilliant

Roobix04 Wed 29-Apr-15 18:05:34

Have you tried using a tangle teaser brush? My little sis had chronic birds nest hair and would scream bloody murder if anyone tried to brush it. Got them a tangle teaser and she loves it.

Nishky Wed 29-Apr-15 18:11:41

Second the tangle teaser.

VikingLady Wed 29-Apr-15 18:35:02

We've started using a detangler called Black and Beautiful. We don't have the hair it's designed for - we all have very long light brown straight hair, but DH's is generally a mat after he's washed it. It's brilliant - the best thing we've ever tried.

Artistic Wed 29-Apr-15 18:43:35

Argon oil when the hair is wet...helps reduce the tangles forming (not 100%).

blahblahblah72 Wed 29-Apr-15 20:56:04

Another vote for the Tangle Teaser. It's fab.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 29-Apr-15 21:11:29

I use a tangle teaser as well. It takes a while as my hair is quite thick and curly but it definitely makes brushing easier.

Vesta12 Tue 19-May-15 19:43:27

Thanks kirstygreer, I have tried the Child's Farm detangler and it is fab and was on offer in Boots when I bought it! Thanks.

SophBing Thu 21-May-15 10:48:32

Childs Farm detangler a must for my daughter . She has to wear her up for school and it's very wavy and full of tangles each morning before school and so I spray this and it becomes really easy and no tears!! The Child's Farm conditioner also really helps actually .

FeelingSmurfy Thu 21-May-15 10:56:21

Tangle teaser definitely, its the only thing that works on my hair and it gets rid of tats without a single pull

sarahlux Thu 21-May-15 11:22:41

My hair is really thick and knots easily. I swear by a tangle teaser and the childrens detangling spray from avon.

Works a treat for me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now