Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is Ginseng any good against colds?

(4 Posts)
milkmoustache Sun 01-Oct-06 17:58:28

I've just started the first cold of the season, and I always get loads more than my fair share, despite being healthy otherwise, eating well etc.
Have tried acupuncture a couple of times, but this time it wasn't helpful, so I need you to let me know if there are any vitamins or supplements which seem to help... even if they just clear colds up a little bit quicker. Thanks!

milkmoustache Sun 01-Oct-06 19:41:11

bump!

chocolateshoes Sun 01-Oct-06 19:47:53

I always take echinecea tablets the minute I get the first signs of a cold. It is important that you don't take them all the time - just when you need them. It boosts your immune system to help you fight the cold & seems to stop them developing.

I also take 'Sanddorndaft' which is wild buckthorn juice. It is easily available in German speaking countries. I add it to orange juice as it isn't very tasty!

Ginseng helps to boost your energy levels so again should help fight off a cold.

And plenty of hot lemon!

marz Sun 01-Oct-06 19:52:31

Ginseng is a long term booster....if you were to take it regularly through winter it might help.
As a one off, it is not a cure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now