Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It's just dawned on me that I believe I have a slight vaginal prolapse..

(21 Posts)
FrankSpencer Wed 03-Sep-14 12:30:45

blush

Fuck. What do I do now?

I'm having a smear test next Monday. I'm hoping the nurse will confirm or not the prolapse and advise accordingly. But that ages away. Will sex hurt? blush

Don't panic, there are many types and degrees of prolapse and plenty you can do to help yourself if it is. What makes you think you've got one? I've got them BTW.

FrankSpencer Wed 03-Sep-14 12:45:47

Well. I feel heavy in my nether regions, and looking at my foof, there's a lump/blob of pink sitting in the vaginal opening.

I'm sorry to be so descriptive, but you did ask! wink and no point beating around the bush... So to speak.

PinkAndBlueBedtimeBears Wed 03-Sep-14 12:59:10

Erm.. I've got the same as you, a weird little pink blob of.. Skin? At my vaginal opening and I feel heavy, particularly when I pee, it's rather uncomfortable.. But ds is only 4 weeks and dd 20mo.. do I have this too?!?! shock

FrankSpencer Wed 03-Sep-14 13:04:33

I've no idea but mine is a lump of tissue/flesh as apossed(sp?) to skin.
And I've had no baby in recent years, either. Why do I have this?? Gah!

LittleMilla Wed 03-Sep-14 13:07:12

Your description sounds similar to mine and I was told that many people don't even know they have it! Sex doesn't need to be painful and a women's physio can help with some exercises.

Very very common accordin to a gynae friend of mine, it's just that people don't ever talk about it!

FrankSpencer Wed 03-Sep-14 13:22:14

I wonder why.

Anyhow, I've been clenching my nethers like a mad thing since last night after having a good look down below. The funny thing is is that I can't remember exactly how it looked before but I'm sure what I'm seeing now is a new development. And I just feel different confused

In that case, if I was you I'd get yourself to the GP (the nurse will probably be reluctant to say one way or another) and ask if you could have a referral to the Women's Health Physio service.

In the meantime, yes, clench away. There are various risk factors (as well as childbirth) including chronic coughing or constipation, heavy lifting/pushing/pulling, high impact / strong core exercise, menopause. When things are mild as you describe you can do a lot to help yourself by correct exercise and good manual handling techniques, also better management of coughs, constipation. For the menopause, estrogen creams can help some people at that time I think (not there yet myself).

FrankSpencer Wed 03-Sep-14 14:01:49

Thank you for your advice.

I really want to fall pregnant in the next year, and I'm now worried about how birthing will affect an already present prolapse.

I don't smoke, I'm slim enough, I'm adverse to exercises, no heavy lifting and in my 30's..what on earth has made my innards go south?? sad for pity sake!!

Belmo Wed 03-Sep-14 14:23:09

I've got exactly the same as you describe (went to the GP in a panic that it might be a tumour blush). She sent me away with a leaflet on pelvic floor exercises, and said they can sometimes be corrected with surgery but this wouldn't be considered until you're definitely finished having babies. Mine doesn't bother me particularly, apart from looking a bit gross, but then doesn't it all?! Really should be trying harder with my pelvic floors though...

PinkAndBlueBedtimeBears Wed 03-Sep-14 14:36:02

Is that all that's really advised? Pelvic floor exercises? Does anyone actually remember to do them?! this clearly explains the prolapse!

FrankSpencer Wed 03-Sep-14 14:37:00

Gross, yes, in a way! (depending on who's opinion. DP thinks mines a work of art, arf!) I can't help but think of mussells even I see a fanny, and think of fannys when I see a mussell grin Back to topic..

So I'm not the only one with this and thank you to all who've admitted theirs is similar. It's not like I can ask for photos to swap and compare, so your honesty is very much appreciated and reassuring flowers

FrankSpencer Wed 03-Sep-14 14:40:09

That's what I came on here to ask, PinkandBlue. Is that it?
Isn't there a tubey plastic thing that's inserted into the vagina for correcting prolapses or am I getting that confused with something else?

You can have a pessary to lift them up if they are problematic but you are not a candidate for surgery, I've never tried them myself though.

PFEs are the standard advice from GPs and we really all should be doing them daily, but a women's health physio will talk you through lifestyle changes etc and tailor the exercises a bit more individually to you. None of this can get rid of a prolapse but it can alleviate the symptoms and more importantly at the earlier stages help prevent it getting worse.

Unfortunately a lot of things can make them worse inadvertently, I wish I'd known before I took up running, attempted the 30 Day shred and gone on the kids trampoline sad.

worried78 Wed 03-Sep-14 16:18:40

Can a prolapse effect fertility?

Footle Wed 03-Sep-14 16:58:44

There is a massive ongoing thread about prolapse here on General Health. Fear not, you are not alone. And you can have a really strong pelvic floor and still have a prolapse. Or two.

Hi Footle, how are you doing? I haven't posted on the other thread recently, not sure how active it is at the moment, but it was a tremendous help when I first discovered mine. I mainly use the FB group now (Pelvic Organ Prolapse Support if anyone wants to look for it, it's a closed group so only the group can see your posts).

Footle Wed 03-Sep-14 17:23:58

Hello WhoKnows, nice to see you again. I'm fine thank you, though I do wish the surgeon had been able to repair the bladder prolapse as well as the rectal one. It's not long since I noticed the old thread was still active but I haven't posted there for ages. Are you finding the Fb one helpful ?

Oops sorry OP, hope you find this info helpful too.

I am finding the FB one absolutely brilliant, not only has it helped me with my own problems, which are fairly minor since my op (and I want to keep them that way!) but I have learnt so much about what others are going through and so much other information.

I found the MN one great for the period before and after surgery, but it was largely focussed on that (last time I looked anyway), this one is much more diverse. Also some of the posters are women's health professionals. It is private but FB may announce to your friends that you've joined it blush. Both are very caring groups of people.

Footle Wed 03-Sep-14 22:11:26

Thanks so much, I will follow this up.

FrankSpencer Wed 03-Sep-14 22:45:25

Oh no, don't apologise. If it wasn't for this thread I'd never have known about the FB group just mentioned. Which is good for me smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now