Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pharmaceutical advice please! Paracetamol & Codeine not helping...

(13 Posts)
TeamEdward Tue 02-Sep-14 22:05:22

I've been taking paracetamol & codeine since yesterday (Codeine Phosphate 8 mg, Paracetamol 500 mg) for major period pain.
Normally take naproxen when things get this bad, but couldn't get to a pharmacy to get any.

Anyway, these tablets are not making the blindest bit of difference. To be honest, I doubt the naproxen would either.
Is there anything else I can take?

Also, I have arthritic joints in my big toes and they are aching (even with the codeine!). I would normally use diclofenac gel but is this a good idea when on the P&C?

BIWI Tue 02-Sep-14 22:06:29

You could take ibuprofen as well. Hope that helps and you're feeling better soon!

Badvoc123 Tue 02-Sep-14 22:11:19

Yes ibuprofen too and you could stagger it with the paracetamol and codeine.
Never found naproxen that good tbh, nefapam is ace though

TeamEdward Tue 02-Sep-14 22:15:23

Oh, I didn't realise I could take Ibuprofen too. Thank you!

Now, what is this nefapam of which you speak? Is it OTC?

Badvoc123 Tue 02-Sep-14 22:18:13

No it's rx only.
Bloody good stuff though

FabULouse Wed 03-Sep-14 00:04:56

Are you taking two at a time ie 1g paracetamol/16mg codeine?

Sorry if patronising smile

Ledkr Wed 03-Sep-14 00:10:02

Not enough paracetamol if you are only taking 500. Take another 5 and yes you can have brufen too

NCISaddict Wed 03-Sep-14 00:16:25

You could take OTC ibuprofen and codeine as well as the paracetamol and codeine. Are you taking 2 of the paracetamol ie 1g of paracetamol?

TeamEdward

Would not take codeine for any longer than 3 days. I would try ibuprofen instead and use a hot water bottle on pelvic area.

Do you get major period pain like this frequently?. If so what has the GP commented about it?.

TeamEdward Wed 03-Sep-14 08:46:21

I have been taken two tablets at a time.

The hot water bottle has been deployed too.

I haven't been to the doctor about it for ages, because she generally doesn't seem to want to do much about it. I reckon it's only about 1 period in 4 that gets this bad. I've always had heavy periods (some days I can fill a mooncup in under 3 hours) but ironically these really painful ones seem to have a comparatively lighter flow.
Yesterday's was a corker - felt like early labour, nausea, stiffness, cold sweats etc. Didn't sleep very well, but pain is better today.

Thank you for your help!

Matildathecat Wed 03-Sep-14 09:42:45

Have you tried heat patches? More convenient than hot water bottle if on the move! They are fantastic things and keep hot for a looong time. Must not be applied directly to the skin.

Cheap brands ie Wilkinsons just as good as the expensive ones.

Hi TeamEdward,

re your comment:-
"haven't been to the doctor about it for ages, because she generally doesn't seem to want to do much about it. I reckon it's only about 1 period in 4 that gets this bad. I've always had heavy periods (some days I can fill a mooncup in under 3 hours) but ironically these really painful ones seem to have a comparatively lighter flow.
Yesterday's was a corker - felt like early labour, nausea, stiffness, cold sweats etc. Didn't sleep very well, but pain is better today".

If your GP is unhelpful or not that bothered then change GP practice or see someone else within it. I would also be requesting that you are now referred to a gynae. Honestly what you are putting up with here is not normal in terms of pain levels. Also endometriosis can cause heavy bleeding to arise (and I've had moderate to severe period pain from the onset of menses at 14 due now I know to endo) so feel strongly that other women should not have to out of inertia or ignorance from GPs.

What many GPs seem not to realise either is that endometriosis is the second most common gynae issue after fibroids.

The more I read of your symptoms the more I am convinced that endometriosis could well be the cause. Its all very well trying to treat the symptoms and I certainly did by using similar methods of painkillers and hot water bottles - but doing that do not address the cause.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 03-Sep-14 12:26:53

Paracetamol and codeine have no anti- inflammatory properties at all, whereas naproxen in a non-steroidal anti- inflammatory (NSAID) drug so it is almost certainly why the P&C is not working.
Ibuprofen is another NSAID so will be more like naproxen, however, it's effect is not as profound as naproxen. Do not take ibuprofen and naproxen together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now