Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Was this Low blood pressure or low blood sugar?

(17 Posts)
Kittykat7 Sat 30-Aug-14 11:39:41

I was in the shower & had just got up. I had the shower quite hot & had a conditioning treatment on. I was doing a body scrub & felt my body all weak. As I got out I started to feel really strange & the room was spinning. I lay flat only bed still all wet with a towel around me. I must have passed out as I opened my eyes but didn't remember anything. It must have been for a few mins. I got DH to get me some toast & coffee. I lay down for an hour but had to go to work. I went to the chemist & had a free blood pressure test. My BP was 107/74 pulse 76 & blood sugar reading was 5.8.
I will see a Dr on Mon as I still feel a bit fragile now. Does anyone know is that a low blood pressure reading?

Annietheacrobat Sat 30-Aug-14 21:32:51

The blood pressure reading you had in the chemist isn't low but what you describe in the shower was probably a faint caused by low blood pressure from the heat and standing quickly.

SourSweets Sat 30-Aug-14 21:49:00

I agree, hot baths always make me faint. I really should not have them so hot but who wants a tepid bath?

Hope you feel better soon. Generally speaking a one off faint is nothing to worry about.

Edenviolet Sat 30-Aug-14 21:55:25

The blood sugar reading was ok. Normal for somebody without diabetes (should be between 4-7)

My bp is always a similar reading and gp always says its ok but on the low side but its normal for me. You should see your gp and get a proper check up.

whatadrain Sat 30-Aug-14 21:58:44

The toast would have sent your blood sugar up, so it's possible that it was low at the time. You can buy a monitor from Amazon for £10-15 to test a few times if you are concerned.

Is there any chance you could be pregnant? This was my first symptom (fainting in the shower) each time.

whatadrain Sat 30-Aug-14 21:59:08

(Oh and go see your GP!)

Kittykat7 Sun 31-Aug-14 01:35:39

Thanks everyone. Definitely not pregnant as DH has had the snip.
I went to the chemist late in the afternoon as had to go to work so that was my normal reading. I'll see if I can get a 5 min appt on Mon just to see my Dr as I'm due some blood tests anyway. I have had low iron in the past but can't tolerate iron tablets so have to have injections.

NanaNina Sun 31-Aug-14 23:16:39

I agree with soursweets - I always used to feel faint in a hot bath and so had to stop having them. Sounds like it was a combination of the heat and standing in it for so long. I can't use steam rooms for the same reason.

Artistic Sun 31-Aug-14 23:46:34

Def the steam in the room caused you faintness. Combined with the body treatment & high temp it's made you dizzy. I can never do long baths with books/wine for this reason! grin

Your readings look ok.

You could leave a window open which drains the steam - to prevent this next time.

Kittykat7 Mon 01-Sep-14 07:25:09

Update. I went to the Drs. He is very concerned especially when I said I hit my head a few weeks ago at work. Got to have ECG, blood tests & CT brain scan. He said I could have had a seizure as he said I shouldn't have passed out laying flat. My BP was ok. He said it could be just a simple faint but wants to check things out. He did some neuro tests too.

Edenviolet Mon 01-Sep-14 08:36:56

Glad you are getting properly checked. Sounds like you have a good gp. Fingers crossed its nothing serious thanks

Kittykat7 Mon 01-Sep-14 10:06:53

Thanks Hedgehog80 I'm inclined to think it was a simple faint from the heat but glad he's checking me out. My ECG was fine. I have brain CT tomorrow & appt next Thurs for results. I only went in for a 5 min appt thinking he would just check my blood pressure. I was there for 2 hours!

Amaretta Mon 01-Sep-14 10:09:17

I get this if I have low blood sugar (ie before breakfast), I have passed out as well.

Nothing wrong with me, but will/must never low-carb crash diet, LOL!

Anyway, it is probably nothing to worry about.

Amaretta Mon 01-Sep-14 10:10:52

Hot showers make me sick too (actually nauseous and dizzy). When you had your shower, how long was it since you had eaten?

Kittykat7 Mon 01-Sep-14 12:04:01

I was over 12 hours since I'd eaten. I inclined to think it was low blood sugar/pressure & the heat just exacerbated it. I'd be surprised if brain scan shows anything though I did hurt my head hard a few weeks ago. I had a headache for 2 days but didn't get checked as thought I was ok. I wrote it down in an accident report so it's all documented if I need to take it further.

Kittykat7 Tue 02-Sep-14 06:31:27

Hi I had the CT Scan. i had to drink loads of water beforehand but they didn't inject me with iodine as it said in the consent form they would. I was worried about the side effects anyway but I asked why they didn't give it to me they said if there was any trauma they didn't want to clog up the arteries. I have to pick up films tomorrow. I'm sure my Dr will ring if anything untoward. I am lucky he is so thorough. Hopefully all will turn out ok. Thinking about it now I probably shouldn't have gone to work Sat but I never go sick & wouldn't have got paid if I hadn't gone.

Kittykat7 Wed 03-Sep-14 03:51:55

I got my films back all was found to be normal with the CT scan. It must have been a simple faint. I have Drs appt next Thurs for blood test results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now