Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian Cyst

(9 Posts)
summersover Thu 28-Aug-14 15:07:32

Been having bad abdominal pain for some time and waiting for a scan. Finally went this week and have been told I have a cyst on my ovary. Anyone else had this and with what result? I'm still having lots of pain and its affecting bladder and bowels now too. Help & advice welcome

summersover Thu 28-Aug-14 16:08:23

anyone?

youngatheart1 Thu 28-Aug-14 16:39:31

Hi summer not able to offer advice as such, but I am being cheeky here and just wondering what your symptoms are as I am having same problem, just been told I have low hoemaglobin and as I am 55 and periods stopped gp said I must be bleeding internally, my pain is above pubic bone and moves up over stomach and around sides and is stinging and a throbbing like, my bladder and bowels are erratic too, so similar I think, I hope it is a cyst as I am told they can be removed or shrunk with lasers. I would prefer that outcome from my scan than the dreaded c.

summersover Thu 28-Aug-14 17:27:15

symptoms are severe pain mid-cycle, so bad I can hardly walk, persistent abdominal bloating, frequent need to be and pain during bowel movements, extreme tiredness and often nausea. This was first scan which I've had to wait ages for and was told i'll have to come back in 4-6 weeks to see if there's any changes. Cyst was 5cm which is considered 'large'. Not sure what to think really but can't help being worried.......

Will they be referring you to a gynae regardless of the nature of the cyst?. I ask this as there are several types of cyst.

I would keep a daily pain and symptom diary to show the gynae if you are not already doing so.

Severe pain mid cycle can be sometimes indicative of endometriosis being present. There can also be bowel and rectal involvement. Infact any such pain up to and including menses should be investigated properly to see if endo is present. "Chocolate cysts" are often related to endometriosis.

youngatheart1 Thu 28-Aug-14 17:39:36

Hi thanks for reply, I know what you mean about worrying I am trying not to but it is hard not to google everything you can. As I don't have periods mine is not mid cycle, but does seem to get worse for a couple of weeks and then ease off. I am being sent for an emergency scan which is within 2 weeks, some emergency, I do not really know what to expect, but wish doctor had not said I was bleeding internally, although when I have really bad diarrhaea ??? about once a month I do bleed so perhaps that is what she means, I am sorry that they are making you wait so long to go back, but from what I have heard cysts are more easily treated and according to a friend they sometimes do a hysterectomy which in the long run is probably the best scenario for both of us. Take care.

summersover Wed 10-Sep-14 04:48:06

any update young? I'm still waiting for second scan date but had a message from doctor saying it's very important that I go - worrying!!

InfiniteJest Wed 10-Sep-14 05:37:34

Hi OP. I've had a cyst that was 8cm across, and it went away on its own after a few months. It just gradually got smaller, then vanished. I've also had a cyst rupture, which was pretty painful but had no serious outcome. It just got smaller and vanished too. That's why they'd be wanting to wait 4 - 6 weeks, to give it a chance to shrink or vanish.

There are different types of cysts, and I think I just had simple cysts. There can be more complex cysts too.

I know it's possible to have cysts removed, this was discussed when I had one while pregnant but it also went on its own (I've had about 4 in total and they've not ever been a big problem).

It could be that your doctor is asking you to come in as you have a more complex cyst. Weird that they have messaged you a few weeks after your scan, though? I hope everything is ok.

pinkfrocks Wed 10-Sep-14 12:06:18

Just to agree with the PP.
A 5cms cyst is not large based on what I've been told. they like to look carefully at a cyst OVER 5cms- but 5cms and under is not considered an issue. I had one that was 3.5 cms and was monitored for 2 years (I was just post meno and the scanning was private, every 4-5 months.)

It went on its own.

I am sure your dr wants you to keep the appt because the cyst may well have gone. But in the meantime have you not been given any feedback from the scan? In your situation I'd be asking what they found- was it a simple, complex or dermoid cyst.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now