Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid help?

(7 Posts)
awaywego1 Wed 27-Aug-14 11:50:12

I've seen the GP this morning and my thyroid has gone underactive (it was underactive when i was a teenager but for some reason they stopped treatment) I have to wait 3 months to be retested (it was 4.8 today) thing is I feel terrible..I have a cfs diagnosis anyway but feel worse than normal..constant headache tiredness trouble word finding, poor sleep, cold all the time and feeling generally unwell.
Is there anything I can do to support my thyroid naturally in the meantime..I can't cope with feeling like this for another 3 months.
Thanks smile

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 27-Aug-14 12:04:00

My thyroid function is 'low normal' so I haven't been given medication. I've read that iodine and cutting out soy can help boost thyroid function.

awaywego1 Wed 27-Aug-14 12:43:28

Thanks..ill look into that x

awaywego1 Wed 27-Aug-14 20:14:34

I'm wondering if it would be reasonable to go back to be retested in a few weeks rather than 3 months.

RockinD Wed 27-Aug-14 20:34:58

Chances are you don't have CFS at all, but a thyroid problem.

Yes, do not wait for three months to be re-tested, try six weeks, and next time you are tested, ask for a full thryoid panel - TSH, FT4, FT3, TPO and TgAB. This is because TSH is not a thyroid hormone at all, it's a pituitary hormone and you cannot tell from a TSH result alone what is happening with the thyroid. You cannot tell how much pro-hormone is available, whether you are able to convert it to enough active hormone or whether you are under auto immune attack.

While you're at it, ask for a full iron panel, ferritin, folate, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. The chances are that some of your vits and mins are deficient and fixing those may make you feel a deal better - it did with me.

All these tests are available on the NHS. You might have to bang the table and your doc might have to ring the lab and bang the table himself, but they are all available and they are proper diagnostic tools that it is reasonable to ask for.

I could recommend something you can buy over the counter that would support your thyroid, but that would reduce your TSH and possibly delay a diagnosis, which I guess is not what you want.

Finally, get a copy of your test results, with the reference ranges - every time. That's your data and you are entitled to it. If you do that and keep a spreadsheet, you will be able to pick up patterns and changes much faster than a GP flicking from screen to screen.

awaywego1 Wed 27-Aug-14 21:14:29

Thanks rockin that's great advice.
I historically have low vid d and although vid d wasn't done this time calcium was low. Ferritin & b12 were within range but on the low side.
GP did say she would be doing a different thyroid test also next time but I'll try and agitate for a full panel..and go back in 6 weeks..I practically begged for thyroxine today but she wasn't having it which is fair enough but shes aware I'm struggling!

awaywego1 Fri 29-Aug-14 10:59:31

i've just ordered a full thyroid panel via thyroid UK..at least then I might have more of an idea what's going on whilst I'm waiting for retesting by the gp x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now