Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Men C booster for teenagers

(19 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-14 22:09:01

DD has just been offered a Men C booster before she goes to college

I thought she was up to date after the HPV one, is it new to have a booster mid teens?

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-14 22:21:03

She had the 3-in-1 I think at the same time as HPV but not Men C at 13-15

I wonder why

Stressie Tue 26-Aug-14 22:23:22

New this year. Found immunity was dropping at this age and meningitis rates high in uni students so added one at this age, and stopped one of the earlier age ones.

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-14 22:26:06

Oh I see; so she missed the at school one as it wasn't out yet but has been offered it as although she is 16 she is moving away from home I guess - otherwise they would wait until she is 18

If I read it right

Musicaltheatremum Tue 26-Aug-14 22:35:04

Yes, we are doing these and I had my DS immunised last year, before he went away. Men c occurs in clusters and loves halls of residences.

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-14 22:37:24

No halls - but I imagine changing rooms have the same effect!

Something else to fit in before she leaves

So much packing/organising/sewing/buying!

At least injections are free - I wonder if the flu jab is in yet

Sidge Tue 26-Aug-14 22:39:10

It's on offer for all young people over 10 and under 25 but is being prioritised to those off to college/uni/residential schools.

Those over 10 and under 16-18 should be offered it when they have their school leavers booster of diphtheria, tetanus and polio - as well as a second dose of MMR vaccine if they haven't already had 2 doses. If they have already had their dtp then they should be offered a single booster dose of Men C as a catch up.

Sidge Tue 26-Aug-14 22:40:01

Flu jabs not in until the mid to end of September.

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-14 22:40:39

I'll add it to my list

Just glad I hadn't missed/forgotten it - I think vaccines are very important

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-14 22:41:58

That's a pain as she will have to organise it herself at college

As she's asthmatic I'm guessing she can just ask for it? Our GP calls her in - but I guess the new surgery won't know to

Registering at the new surgery seems a bit stressful too!

Sidge Tue 26-Aug-14 22:45:41

It depends on the local health provision where she is going - in college medical centres they may have a call/recall system for patients with asthma to do a review and offer the flu jab.

If she is only away for some weeks at a time you could keep her registered at home and book her in when she is home next. But if you think she may need medical care whilst away from home you could re-register her there and they should be able to book her in. Remember that large practices don't necessarily call them - we don't call people for flu jabs as we have over 3000 eligible patients and can't call them all!

BackforGood Tue 26-Aug-14 22:50:25

Does it depend on where you live?

dd was called for it earlier this Summer (She's 15, and was in Yr10) but ds - who is 18 and off to University - hasn't been offered it, although, reading the thread, it suggests he might currently be the more vulnerable ??

KatyMac Tue 26-Aug-14 22:50:36

Yep - she gets special treatment here as her asthma is a bit weird (like her dad's)

I'm dreading the first cold she gets away from home, as here they give her antibiotics fairly fast as within 2 days she normally needs steroids if it goes untreated. We are great at our coloured mucus in this house hmm but explaining that to new doctors can be fun

Sidge Tue 26-Aug-14 23:03:24

BackforGood - your DS should have been advised by UCAS when he received his offer to book in at his local surgery for a Men C booster. It is (I understand) part of his pre joining info from UCAS. If he hasn't heard he can just make an appointment.

BackforGood Tue 26-Aug-14 23:08:02

Oh shock Thanks Sidge

If that came to him, the information never got as far as me - mind you, there is every possibility this was down to him

a) not bothering to read all the information
and
b) hating needles, so choosing not to take in that information

I'll bring it up with him tomorrow.
Thanks MN grin

Sidge Tue 26-Aug-14 23:16:45

grin yeah when we as practice nurses received info from the DoH that said basically "students will be advised in their UCAS paperwork to attend for a Men C booster" we all went 'like that's going to happen!'

BackforGood Tue 26-Aug-14 23:22:22

Yes - sending it via the school would have at least meant I got copied in on the information via e-mail grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now