Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Gallstone in bile duct

(11 Posts)
helensburgh Tue 26-Aug-14 14:25:25

On the waiting list to,have gbladder removed, suffering almost daily attacks, blooming nightmare.

Had My op two,weeks ago,today I get phone call, from consultant to say my blood tests are abnormal,and i am to have an MRI scan.

Hopefully just a gallstone blocking the bile duct, if so will need endoscopic ally removal,then at a later date gallbladder removed.

Aahahhhhhhhh. I'm already on half pay from being off work,sick.

Anyone else had this complication and also does this mean I'm more likely not to get keyhole removal?

trickynicky Tue 26-Aug-14 21:09:23

This happened to me last year. I was having horrendous attacks, then had an MRI which confirmed a stone stuck in the bile duct. I had an endoscopy to remove it which was really straightforward. A week later. I had the gallbladder removed by keyhole surgery which was also straight forward. The only thing that helped was a completely fat free diet whilst. I waited for the surgery. No fat, no attack, but sooo boring! Let me know if you need any further info. I can't tell you what a relief it was to finally get rid of the gallbladder and honestly I have been fine ever since. Best of luck.

helensburgh Tue 26-Aug-14 22:07:16

That's so reassuring, thank you.

Spotted a big mistake in my post! It should say pre op!

Did you have sedation for the endoscopy and if so, we're you aware of anything?

helensburgh Tue 26-Aug-14 22:08:21

I have tried the no fat thing, it doesn't always work.

One of my worst attack was after I ate an apple!

comeawaywithme Thu 28-Aug-14 13:11:36

Was also waiting to have my gallbladder out, but developed jaundice as I had a stone stuck in my bile duct (didn't have an MRI, just a regular ultrasound). They got rid of it endoscopically. I did have sedation (they said they always used sedation, but I guess it varies from place to place) and they also sprayed the back of my throat with something that tasted like banana to numb it. I remember gagging a bit as they put the tube down, but then don't remember much else until I was in recovery. I ended up having my gallbladder removed two days later by keyhole surgery. I am so relieved to have my gallbladder gone. Hope your op and recovery go well!

trickynicky Fri 29-Aug-14 16:55:22

I did have sedation actually. I ASKED for it! I was petrified of the whole endoscopy thing but it really was nothing to worry about and literally i remembered nothing at all. It was very straightforward. I can honestly say that the best thing I ever did was have the gallbladder removed. SUCH a relief - no more pain, I'm eating normally now and feel so much better.

helensburgh Fri 29-Aug-14 21:09:47

Thanks!

I had a normal upper endoscopy a few months ago and didn't have sedation , it was awful!! I had to get them to stop , it hurt so much when they injected the air!

I had a reaction to sedation years ago and was scared to have it!

trickynicky Fri 29-Aug-14 21:51:51

Are you on a fat free diet whilst you wait? I must say. Found that really hard but the pain of a gallbladder attack is just so bad that it was worth it!

trickynicky Fri 29-Aug-14 21:53:20

Sorry, just tealised sn apple set you off! I couldn't wat even a drop of fat without it setting off. Hideous!

trickynicky Fri 29-Aug-14 21:54:12

And apologies for dreadful typos, trying to type with a fidgety dog on my lap!!

Myfirstcalendar Fri 29-Aug-14 22:08:20

They will definitely give sedation for the procedure - it is longer and more uncomfortable than a regular endoscopy but hopefully you won't remember anything because they will give you lots of drugs! No problems with still having key hole gall bladder removal as discussed above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now