Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does any one not get sick?

(26 Posts)
Kittykat7 Mon 25-Aug-14 14:05:23

Does anyone jest not get sick? I just don't seem to pick things up. In the last 16 years I've had one cold & one flu. I don't take any particular supplements. I've worked the last 6 years & not had one day off sick. My girls have had 3 colds so far this year & sneezed everywhere but I just don't seem to get it. I had a flu 16 years ago & had it for 3 weeks. If you had been an elderly person you would have died. I had flu injections every year I was at school. Not sure if that has given me any resistance. I've suffered with my mental health but have never had time off sick from work because of it.

donkir Mon 25-Aug-14 14:20:16

I have worked with children for the past 16years and don't seem to pick any kind of bugs up at all. Partly because I have a healthy lifestyle and I think I've built up immunity from working with children.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 25-Aug-14 14:56:48

I get about one cold a year and never enough to be off work. I'm a GP so encounter a lot of sick people. Even as a child though, rarely got ill.

BolshierAyraStark Mon 25-Aug-14 21:47:14

Yep me, very rarely get anything illness related. Have been told by a doctor that I must have a particularly efficient immune system-apparently some people just do.

code Mon 25-Aug-14 21:51:04

23 years in NHS frontline and had my first vomiting bug in February this year. Shook it off in less than 12 hours. Rarely get colds and are only mild. Put this down to constant low level exposure and east end working class stock immunity.

Me. I've not had a day off work in 16 years (apart from a tooth extraction) and both DS went through primary and secondary with about one day off. I've no idea why we never catch anything. If I knew, I'd market it.

Littlefish Mon 25-Aug-14 21:56:48

I'm rarely ill, even though I work with lots of young children. I suppose I have a day off every few years, usually due to picking up a particularly virulent D&V bug (apart from a gynaecological operation when I had to have 6 weeks off). I never take time off for coughs and colds, and seem to shake them off within 24 hours.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Tue 26-Aug-14 03:18:01

I never get ill, despite not having a particularly healthy lifestyle. DH and DC pick up bugs, colds etc but they pass me by. Not sure why.

In the last 10 years, the only time I've had off is for a minor op which involved GA, otherwise I've been at work every day.

DoesAnyoneActuallyLikeQuinoa Tue 26-Aug-14 03:58:59

I am never ill or pick up any bugs. Maybe a cold every 2 years and that's from going out with wet hair (even though people say that's not how you get a cold!).

I put it down to around 5-6 cups of tea a day, and getting 8 hours good sleep a night, I sleep between 10pm and 6am.

MexicanSpringtime Tue 26-Aug-14 04:55:07

Well, I'm not quite as healthy as you lot, but I am 61 and have been smoking for the last forty years and very rarely get sick. I was told I had arthritis in the wrists and neck when I was 35, but have never had another episode.

NCISaddict Tue 26-Aug-14 06:25:35

I rarely get ill, colds last at worst 24 hours and I haven't had a tummy bug for 25 years. DC's seem to be the same as regards tummy bugs, they've never had one that progressed beyond one episode of vomiting.
I put it down to always having a dog and never insisting on washing hands after touching it.blush

PumpkinBones Tue 26-Aug-14 06:31:30

DH is never ill despite the fact he gets the least sleep, works shifts, smokes, and because if his shifts, eats all over the place.
I and the DC's don't get ill that much - I normally have one cold a year which lasts 3 days and that is it.
Weirdly, winter before last, I had a cold from pretty much November to March - I worked it out as seven colds, if you counted gaps in between - never happened before or since, I put it down to a stressful work situation!

malteserzz Tue 26-Aug-14 07:11:24

I used to be quite proud of this too,never got ill or had to take a day off work. Was a shock last year when I got breast cancer though

LaQueenOnHerHolibobs Tue 26-Aug-14 13:55:44

I'm very rarely I'll. Maybe get a sniffle once a year, if that? Have only taken one day off work sick in over 3 years.

Never suffer from stomach aches, or general aches and pains. Never suffer from tiredness during the day. My diet isn't great, either though do take quality vitamin every day. I do suffer with hormones though. I'd much rather suffer regular colds than suffer hormonally.

DDs are just the same, haven't needed to see a GP in over 6 years. Can't remember last time either had a cold? Neither has run a high temperature since they were toddlers. Never off school sick.

Have been with DH since 1991 and have only known him be I'll once, with tonsiliti in 1998. I've never known him have a cold or a cough, or anything like that. He's never had an upset stomach (and he's eaten plenty of dodgy stuff in his time).

I think this resilience must be inherited?

Kittykat7 Tue 26-Aug-14 14:01:28

Not sure if it's makes any difference but I've lived in Australia the past 12 years. I went 8 years from having my bad flu & got a cold & flu within a few weeks when DD was a few months old so maybe the lack of sleep lowered my immune system. She is nearly 9 now & I've not had anything since then.
I asked my Dr but he's not sure why. This year he did give me the flu vac as it was free. I haven't had one for 28 years.
Sorry Malteaserzz to hear about your diagnosis hope you are doing ok.

louby44 Wed 27-Aug-14 08:36:35

I'm a primary school teacher and am rarely ill! Get a rare sore throat but seem to shake off coughs/ colds!

I get one or two sniffles a year, a lot of snot and bogeys and a sore throat, but nothing that a paracetomol and honey/lemon/whisky can't sort out. I put it down to not eating too much rubbishy food, washing my hands after going to the loo, and getting decent sleep and fresh air when I can. I have never had flu, even when the nasty Millennium flu was doing the rounds and everyone around me was dropping like flies, and several colleagues had swine flu too.

Unfortunately I have knackered knees so my healthiness doesn't extend to my joints.

iwantgin Wed 27-Aug-14 20:25:58

I rarely catch a cough or cold. If I do have a cold or sore throat it is generally gone within the day.

We are quite healthy in general - DS has a cold now and again - he is 16 now though so is over the young child starting school stage.

DH rarely has a cold either. We eat healthily here.

I suffer with my stomach a bit - a bit too windy, swollen etc at times. But I think that is down to too much veggies. Sigh.

DSSs frequently have the sniffles. But they don't eat as many vegetables and pulses as we do in their DM house - only here EOW.

iwantgin Wed 27-Aug-14 20:27:29

Oh yes, handwashing.

I picked up that habit when I worked in the library. I washed my hands a LOT.

I read that nail biters get more colds etc as they are transferring the germs into their mouths. DSS1 is a nail biter - and often has the sniffles. I think it is true.

NCISaddict Wed 27-Aug-14 22:43:45

I rarely wash my hands except after going to the loo.

ouryve Wed 27-Aug-14 22:48:57

Some people are resistant to certain bugs. I get several colds per season, and often lose my voice for most of December, but I'm one of the 1 in 5 resistant to Norovirus. A very good thing to be resistant to. The boys and DH can get it, but I'll have no more than maybe a couple of loose movements. I only puke when I'm pregnant or eat mackerel.

ouryve Wed 27-Aug-14 22:50:56

Never been hit hard by flu, either. I'm usually the one carrying (and coughing into) the hot drinks and pain killers. I get a mild cough and headache.

Me.

Every now and then I think I'm getting something but a good nights sleep and I'm fine again. It's odd.

I do get headaches but nothing a nurofen can't fix.

Just to add I've had 7 years of broken sleep and my diet is questionable. I'm just fortunate.

LaQueenOnHerHolibobs Thu 28-Aug-14 21:35:29

I'm immune to the chicken pox virus. Was exposed to it endlessly when growing up, never caught it. Exposed to it again when both DDs had it. Have been exposed to it loads through friend's DCs. Worked in several primary schools where they had outbreaks. I just can't catch it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now