Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why do I get a rash whenever I have a virus?

(12 Posts)
SixImpossible Sun 24-Aug-14 10:33:01

Makes no difference what virus: cold, flu, unidentifiable headachey misery, I always break out in the same rash. No-one else in the family has this, even when we generously pass the virus around.

roughtyping Sun 24-Aug-14 10:41:28

I'd be interested to see replies. DS gets this, too. Doctors have always said it's just the body responding to a virus, just not sure how a rash helps!

SixImpossible Sun 24-Aug-14 17:47:44

I'm off on holiday tomorrow. It's been a relatively mild virus, like a cold without the nose. I've only felt a bit poorly, but the rash is spectacular and i know from experience that it will take several days to fade.

I'm going to get some looks in the pool.

roughtyping Sun 24-Aug-14 19:21:39

Oh no sad poor you. I recently had a horrible allergic reaction to amoxicillin, you can still see the rash when I'm cold!

expectingno2 Sun 24-Aug-14 19:24:26

As I understand it post viral rashes are very common. It is essentially what measles etc are but only some of them have actual names.

EBearhug Sun 24-Aug-14 19:39:26

I had an impressive rash with amoxycillin, too - it turned out I had glandular fever, not an ear infection, and apparently it's a common reaction. Have you been tested for it?

SixImpossible Sun 24-Aug-14 20:02:27

It is exactly the same as the rash I get with some antibiotics.

I doubt that I have GF - I don't feel ill enough. Anyway, I get it every time I have a cold, too.

I didn't use to get this rash. It's only been happening since my mid-20s.

Chimchar Sun 24-Aug-14 20:14:45

Oooh. Exciting!! I get this too! grin

I thought i was the only one! Let's start a quiche!!!

Back to your op....I always get it when I'm run down or have been poorly. It's mostly on my trunk, and in nooks of arms, groin, behind knees. It's a red, blotchy rash, under my skin. Never raised.

I have never seen about it. I just self diagnosed a post viral thing.

roughtyping Sun 24-Aug-14 21:32:27

I am now really interested to know what function this has in your body. Or is it the skin being irritated? Off to google!

sashh Mon 25-Aug-14 09:46:53

I get it, a Dr told me it was a heat rash, my body's way of responding to a high temperature.

SixImpossible Mon 25-Aug-14 12:00:16

I don't necessarily get a high temp with the rash, and I have never had it when I had a high temp due to a bacterial infection.

Chimchar Mon 25-Aug-14 21:05:56

Same...not usually with a temperature. It's much bigger and more blotchy than a heat rash for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now