Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'hormonal acne' - what helps that isn't tablets??

(14 Posts)
BasketzatDawn Sat 23-Aug-14 16:07:58

This is getting me down. I am going through perimenopause, but that's only part of it really. I have always had acne-type tendencies, but this has got much worse since I've been on steroids and immuno-suppressants for autoimmune illnesses. The dose of meds will not change in the next year or so, and I cannot take anything 'extra' like oral acne drugs, Dianette, regular antibiotics, anything really.

I keep skin clean and dry, use mild and unperfumed products, dab on t-tree oil and witch-hazel as required. But it goes on and on. General lumpiness/pimples on back and shoulders, chest, face, groin, armpits, around my breasts. Then it flares up and I get abscesses (I've had several courses of ABs this year), like cystic acne at times. I did try an idea from a MN granny - Boots T-tree cream. it helps, but only to appoint.

Ideas on an postcard, please.

IndigoBarbie Sat 23-Aug-14 18:14:38

Heya, I want to suggest flaxseed oil for you. You can get it in bottles and it does taste yucky, but seems very beneficial for skin. It contains omegas which are good for the body.
You can also get it in capsule form. Give it a shot, it's worth a try. I've seen a big difference since taking it.

TheFillyjonk Sat 23-Aug-14 18:18:11

I'm in the same boat, so I'm watching this with interest. Mine only went away when I was on the pill, but like you, I don't want tablets.

I did start tasking Evening Primrose Oil but all it seems to have done is made my PMT worse.

BasketzatDawn Sat 23-Aug-14 18:44:57

a point not appoint. oops!

I found some flax oil caps in a drawer and have begun taking them this week. I'll see if they help the skin. Another thing I've restarted is Vit C and zinc. It seems vitamins may be the way to go.

Thanks for both answers.

Fairylea Sat 23-Aug-14 18:46:21

Zineryt. Topical so not oral and really works. On prescription only.

I have hormonal acne and an immune suppressant condition and it really works for me.

WaffleWiffle Sat 23-Aug-14 18:47:49

It's quite bleaching and harsh, but Quinoderm cream is brilliant. Available over the counter from Boots.

Kittykat7 Sun 24-Aug-14 03:29:52

1000mg Vit C & zinc is good for the skin.

ZaraW Sun 24-Aug-14 17:49:09

Differin works really well for me.

I use flax seed but I grind it every week and put in my smoothies I was told it is better to use than capsules but I could be wrong.

BasketzatDawn Sun 24-Aug-14 19:44:02

Noted all those ideas and will investigate. Thanks, all.thanks

TheFillyjonk Mon 25-Aug-14 12:20:24

I'm going to try flaxseed too. grin

ShadowsShadowsEverywhere Mon 25-Aug-14 12:25:02

My severe cystic acne which no acne medicines made a blind bit of difference to, has completely cleared up and remained gone after I started taking vit c+ zinc tablets AND vit B complex tablets. I've gone from having cysts that were upto 5 inches in length on my face, to having not the tiniest pimple. The vit B are good at regulating hormone levels which is the key I think in tackling hormonal acne.

TheFillyjonk Mon 25-Aug-14 12:27:29

Vitamin B complex is on the shopping list too! I had no idea it regulated hormone levels - very useful, thanks Shadows.

I have had the same problem all my life, now 37 and pregnant and it's got so much worse. Neck, jaw line, cheat and back. I second zinc, I also took vit d, it all seems to help, plus oil cleansing method most days. I tried rosehip oil tooh, not sure if that helped. Currently suffering with a massive outbreak of tiny pimples all over my neck, driving me mad but I can't take zinc when pregnant I don't think.
I just try to remember that no-one else notices it as much as I do.

chocolatespiders Mon 25-Aug-14 12:34:12

Bravura London have some good products that did uses

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now