Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Too much iron in the blood

(7 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Fri 22-Aug-14 11:36:31

I have been tested a couple of years back for Haemachromatosis and the result was negative.
However I had a few blood tests lately and one showed up a LITTLE too much iron in the blood.
Do I have to be retested for haemachromatosis?
Doctor was unhelpful.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 22-Aug-14 18:08:54

Bump

hollyisalovelyname Fri 22-Aug-14 20:58:37

hmm

thumpingrug Sat 23-Aug-14 07:22:07

I also have heamachromatosis.

As its a genetic condition as long as they tested for the correct gene abnormality for the illness then the original test would have been accurate. Its not something you can catch at a later time.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 23-Aug-14 09:25:53

Sorry to hear you have it.
So I don't haemachromatosis but I do have a little extra iron in my blood. What can I do ?I get really tired.

thumpingrug Sun 24-Aug-14 12:58:38

That I can't help with. The Heamachromatosis simply means my body doesn't eliminate excess iron as it should and stores it in organs, which over time can cause damage. Treatment is straightforward. Every 3-4 months I have a pint of blood taken. The creation of new red blood uses up the stored iron. When i was first diagnosed i had to have a pint taken each week for 5 months to bring the levels down. If you do not have heamachomatosis you need to go back to the docs for an explanation as to why you have to much. good luck.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 24-Aug-14 16:24:42

Thank you. I hope you keep well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now