Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Changing combined contraceptive pill- do I have to finish the whole pack of the old one?

(3 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Mon 18-Aug-14 06:30:30

I've just been prescribed a new pill as I was experiencing symptoms of depression and anxiety with Microgynon. The new pill is also a combined monophasic pill- it's called Meliane, which I don't think is available in the UK but it's the same as Femodette- 20 micrograms of ethinyloestradiol and 75 micrograms of gestodene.

I am keen to get off the Microgynon and get going with this one- the doctor said to start it on the first day of my bleed at the end of the microgynon pack but I am wondering if I can just stop the Microgynon now (I have about 10 days to take), wait for the bleed and then start the Meliane. She said I'd need extra contraception for 7 days after starting the new pill if I finished the old pack first, so I am not bothered about initial lack of protection.

Anyone had advice about changing from one pill to another?

Kittykat7 Mon 18-Aug-14 09:51:01

Maybe ask a pharmacist they are usually good with advice.

mommathatwearspink Mon 18-Aug-14 15:54:49

It will state this in the information leaflet provided with your contraception. From what I can read online, you GP is correct and will need to complete your current blister pack of Microgynon as well as using additional contraception (condoms) for the first 7 days of taking Meliane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now