Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Medical question & advice about Norethisterone

(9 Posts)
buggerluggs00 Fri 15-Aug-14 21:47:13

I have a couple of questions that I hope you might be able to help in answering....

I am considering taking Norethisterone ahead of an upcoming holiday so that I won't have a period while I'm away.

However I am hoping to get pregnant soon, so I wanted to know whether:

1. Does Norethisterone act as a contraceptive?
2. If I fell pregnant whilst taking Norethisterone (will only be doing so for 10 days), could this harm the foetus.... in what way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

buggerluggs00 Sat 16-Aug-14 23:00:33

Can anyone recommend a different website where I am more likely to get a response to this question?

Many thanks.

AbsolutelyCrushed Sat 16-Aug-14 23:05:02

I don't know the answers for sure, but when I was given it, I got a 5 minute lecture on how important it was not to be pregnant before I took it.

I don't think you could get pregnant on it, as it stops the bleed and therefore affects your cycle.

buggerluggs00 Sat 16-Aug-14 23:12:30

Hmmmm.... I wonder why? In the unlikely case I was to get pregnant while taking it, I wonder what effect it could have on a foetus that would only be a week developed?

SoonToBeSix Sat 16-Aug-14 23:13:34

It is the mini pill so yes it's a contraception.

SoonToBeSix Sat 16-Aug-14 23:16:15

If you were already pregnant it can increase the chance of a miscarriage I don't think you would get pregnant whilst taking it.

buggerluggs00 Sat 16-Aug-14 23:52:42

Hmmmm, OK, food for thought.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

coalscuttle Sat 16-Aug-14 23:54:49

It's used as a contraceptive in its own right. Often recommended fir women with very heavy periods.

MrsJoeDolan Sat 16-Aug-14 23:56:05

it does the job though. Delays the period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now