Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why does my nose run in the morning?

(13 Posts)
BertieBotts Thu 14-Aug-14 07:50:13

Every morning when I wake up for the last few months I get a streaming nose and sneezes. I don't get it during the rest of the day, it's weird.

Is my nose pregnant? Am I just allergic to mornings? grin

juneybean Thu 14-Aug-14 23:37:33

Dust in your pillow? :/

Kittykat7 Fri 15-Aug-14 11:47:10

Sounds like any allergy. Dust or cat fur?

LynetteScavo Fri 15-Aug-14 11:49:18

I get this. It goes on until lunchtime. It's very annoying, and I get through loads of tissues. I have no idea why though.

Bearandcub Fri 15-Aug-14 11:51:07

Rhinitis

LynetteScavo Fri 15-Aug-14 11:55:15

Yes, but Rhinitis is just the name for a runny nose, either due to an allergy, or not..but not because of a virus, ie the common cold.

It could be non-allergic rhinitis, which is what I think I have.

BertieBotts Fri 15-Aug-14 18:04:16

Not fur. Could it be dust mites? The duvet hasn't been washed in a shockingly long time. It stops after I get up.

BertieBotts Fri 15-Aug-14 18:05:29

It doesn't happen if I lie down in bed during the day, though. Only when I sleep there all night.

LynetteScavo Fri 15-Aug-14 18:47:50

If you're pregnant, it could be hormonal, or could be due to a change in temperature - that affects me, but much more so in the morning.

BertieBotts Fri 15-Aug-14 19:22:35

Not pregnant. Temperature thing I thought was to do with pressure changes? In any case it starts shortly after I wake up but I'm still lying in bed.

Moodykat Thu 28-Aug-14 22:38:10

I have no idea why but I have EXACTLY the same problem! I sometimes take a one-a-day allergy tablet before bed and wake up fine. I think mine must be dust.

Hassled Thu 28-Aug-14 22:42:53

I second/third allergic rhinitis. DH gets it - his is a dust mite/cat hair allergy. It's the source of the constant, loud snoring and the morning snot-fests. Relentless cleaning/washing/hoovering helps.

Imliketotallyummm Fri 29-Aug-14 12:03:14

I get this too, have had for as long as I can remember. Presume it's an allergy and take anti histamines when I remember.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now