Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds missing adult canines

(19 Posts)
hugoagogo Mon 11-Aug-14 10:01:19

ds is 15 and still has baby canine teeth and an xray has confirmed that there are no adult ones waiting in his gums.

I'm not sure what are options are, the dentist talked to us when he had the xray, but it was a bit of a shock.

divingoffthebalcony Mon 11-Aug-14 10:04:24

I suppose the obvious solution would be to extract the baby teeth and have implants put in their place?

hugoagogo Mon 11-Aug-14 10:19:09

Yes implants were mentioned it sounds great, but expensive and I don't know if he needs to wait until he has finished growing, does he need an orthodondist?
I really haven't a clue where to start.

wellmoisturised Mon 11-Aug-14 10:44:48

Hello op, this sounds similar to what happened to me. I was 15 when the dentist found I had no canines, I was xrayed because I still had 7 milk teeth, I was sent to an orthodontist who removed the 7 milk teeth!! To allow what adult teeth I had to come through, I was then meant to have a brace, then once the brace had done its job I should have had implants.
I never went through with the brace, the whole thing filled me with dread, when all my adult teeth came through I had perfectly straight teeth but very spaced, so I had a mouth full of gaps basically.
I was always a little self conscious of the gaps, more how it looked from the side, it was obvious I had teeth missing, I would only smile for photos from a distance, I think it was more my problem than anybody else's really.
I got married in 2012 and during the run up to the wedding I was dreading having the photos done. So I went off to a private dentist and he done me the most amazing, natural looking veneers, and I have a wonderful smile, if I do say so myself! However it cost me over £1000, so I wish I had not been such a vain 16 year old and had the orthodontic treatment in the first place.

wellmoisturised Mon 11-Aug-14 10:47:15

Just to add, I was referred originally to the local hospital for orthodontic treatment, there wouldn't have been any cost involved, I don't know if this would be the same now, this was back in 1996.

hugoagogo Mon 11-Aug-14 10:51:54

thanks, his canines look small compared to the rest of his teeth which is what bothers him most, from what I remember I think the dentist was advocating leaving them be, but maybe saving up for implants when he is older as his baby teeth wouldn't last for ever.

ds being a self concious teenager, would like them fixed, but not sure it's an option.

wellmoisturised Mon 11-Aug-14 15:25:36

I think the dentist is probably right, when I had a routine dental appointment in my early 20's with a different dentist she said it was a terrible decision on the part of the orthodontists to play around with my teeth, incidentally my brother has the same thing, he still has 2 milk teeth at the front and you would class him as having a lovely smile. He is 37 now.

pingufan Tue 12-Aug-14 20:12:14

My son has 5 missing permanent teeth. He is under the care of our major hospital dental team and they are simply watching and waiting (he is 14) to see what his teeth turn out like space wise. They have said that a brace will be used to help space the teeth properly and that if implants are required they will be done on the NHS.

Some of his teeth do look small against his permanent teeth but I wouldn't say he has a bad smile even now.

My father, brother and daughter also have missing teeth, it tends to run in families....

spanky2 Tue 12-Aug-14 20:18:11

Ds1 only has about eight adult teeth. He is 10 now. There has been talk of a floating bridge and implants. According to my dentist if you have good gum health there is lots they can do. He is so blasé about cleaning his teeth and I keep telling him why he has to look after his baby teeth. It is worrying though. I have two teeth missing and I am only considering sorting it out now, braces and building up other teeth to look more normal.

catkind Tue 12-Aug-14 20:28:14

I still have two of my baby canines, in my 30s. At some point they'll give up the ghost, I hope I can have implants at that point but would presumably need braces first to make space for full size teeth. I'll feel like dracula if I do ever have full size ones!

LeapingOverTheWall Tue 12-Aug-14 20:39:30

Dd has missing adult teeth, she's having free orthodontic treatment at a nearby hospital. Current plan is to try to pull the back teeth forward to fill the gaps, or if that doesn't work, reduce the space to a standard tooth sized space so she can choose if she wants bridges (implants won't work for her for other medical reasons)

OP, your dentist should refer you to an orthodontist, at a dental hospital if you have one, and they will explain the options (which might be wait and see, or may be treatment). Missing adult teeth are rated 5 on the "do you qualify for free orthodontic treatment" scale which means you automatically qualify.

Imliketotallyummm Wed 13-Aug-14 19:42:51

I had no adult canine teeth either. My milk teeth there stayed until the first one had to be removed when I was 33 as it was rotten and the second one (it was just my top canines) was removed when I was about 41. I know have a bridge for one of the gaps, the other I've left as it isn't as noticeable.

hugoagogo Wed 13-Aug-14 19:49:20

Thanks for your experiences, I have made him a follow up appointment with the dentist and will be asking if he can be referred to the orthodontist, but I do think he might be best leaving them be.

MyFairyKing Wed 13-Aug-14 20:20:28

For missing adult teeth, there is nothing an orthodontist can do unless you mean he has other teeth problems? I still have 2 milk teeth and have yearly x-rays which show them to be well rooted. My dentist says that she's seen people in their 40s and even 50s with their milk teeth, as long as people take good care of them. smile

LeapingOverTheWall Thu 14-Aug-14 08:02:45

Dd needed an orthodontist as her baby teeth were sinking into her gums, so needed to be removed before she got braces to reduce the gaps to normal tooth size. DH has a baby tooth which sits quite happily, so it really depends on individual circumstances I think

hugoagogo Thu 14-Aug-14 21:30:32

In ds's case his baby canines seem to sit almost on top of the neighbouring teeth, so a brace might help make some space for them maybe...

zumby Thu 14-Aug-14 21:33:14

I am 36 and still have my baby canines smile I am quite attached to them and worry about what I'd look like if I lost them. Yes maybe there is a bit of extra "gum" in my smile, but whenever I mention it to people they are always really surprised that I have baby teeth, so I guess its my own insecurities rather than anything noticeable.

Theweek Thu 14-Aug-14 21:37:50

Don't panic!
Missing teeth relatively common.
Request a referral to an orthodontist.
Loads of options.
The baby teeth may be extracted and gaps closed with braces depending on whether other teeth are crowded for example
The baby teeth may last for years with a view to implants when they are lost.

Rowgtfc72 Sun 17-Aug-14 20:47:11

I had two baby teeth taken out when I was nine. No adult teeth grew but as the teeth were removed because my mouth was crowded I have no gaps. No one has noticed I'm missing the teeth next to my front ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now