Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Q about types of breast cancer

(11 Posts)
nigerdelta Sun 20-Jul-14 15:04:43

Comment on another thread about the "most aggressive type of breast cancer". Is there such a thing? I mean one that is truly more aggresive than all the others?

MaxsMummy2012 Sun 20-Jul-14 15:18:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaxsMummy2012 Sun 20-Jul-14 15:19:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaxsMummy2012 Sun 20-Jul-14 15:42:20

Sorry I got that slightly wrong, there are different types of breast cancer and the numbers link to the stage the cancer is at. www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/type/breast-cancer/about/types/

nigerdelta Sun 20-Jul-14 15:53:38

thx for reply, but I don't think that link answers my question.
Or maybe there isn't an answer, fair enough.

kitkat1967 Sun 20-Jul-14 18:04:02

Hi nigerdelta - in very simplified terms I think agressiveness is dertmined by the grade - grade 3 being the most agressive and grade 1 being the least and the type - with ER+ generally being less agressive that those that are HER+ or triple negative. I suspect this is only a general rule and that there will always be exceptions but it's what I understand anyway.
Hopefully Amber will pop along as she is very knowledgeable and will be able to correct me if I am wrong.

hellymelly Sun 20-Jul-14 18:06:33

Agressiveness is not just to do with the grade. Some types of Bc are more aggressive than others. The grade just tells you what stage the cancer is at. Inflammatory breast cancer is considered the most aggressive type, I have a close friend with this at the moment. Luckily it is the least common bc.

nigerdelta Sun 20-Jul-14 18:24:19

it's not the least common... sorry It doesn't matter whether that statement is correct. Maybe you meant of the main types it's the rarest.

Friend died of a breastcancer which is rarer (rarer on MaxsM's link above). < 1%. She said it was particularly impossible to treat. I've always wanted to understand a bit more about her illness (without it being too technical for me to understand).

hellymelly Sun 20-Jul-14 18:28:55

Yes I did mean of the main types, I realise there are some very rare cancers out there too. I am sorry about your friend. I wonder if talking to a Macmillan person might be helpful for you?

nigerdelta Sun 20-Jul-14 18:41:46

Neah, it's just intellectual curiosity. I guess I shouldn't get distracted by claims that any one cancer is the worst. They're almost all bitches.

hellymelly Sun 20-Jul-14 18:58:39

They are indeed, all bitches. But the survival rates for many breast cancers have improved hugely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now