Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fused Ankle. Anyone? Please?

(7 Posts)
FrancesNiadova Thu 17-Jul-14 22:30:23

Hi, I've posted on here before, but didn't get many responses. Has anyone had their ankle fused? I had mine fused in April. I did 6 weeks in plaster & 6 weeks in an air boot. Anyway, today I was told that all is healing nicely, but not quickly. This means another 6 weeks in an air boot. My ankle is still very swollen & painful. When will it end? Has anyone got any experience of this? Thanks.

FrancesNiadova Fri 18-Jul-14 20:15:10

I've been in pain for over 3 years since my accident now, (had a mastectomy for breast cancer since), had my ankle fused to stop the pain & it's not working. Anyone, please, with any advice for anything similar?

CuttedUpPear Fri 18-Jul-14 20:16:57

I don't have a fused ankle but my surgeon wants to fuse mine due to arthritis.

So I'm hopping onto your thread to see what comes in!

Haffdonga Fri 18-Jul-14 20:37:24

Not me but my dm had her ankle fused about 5 years ago. It has changed her life smile. She used to be in constant pain All The Time. She is now a member of a hiking group and goes on weekly hikes of 8 to 10 miles up and down hills.

But it did take a lot longer to recover than she expected. For a while I was very afraid that she had done the wrong thing and was worse off than before. I think the time she was in plaster/ boot sounds about the same as you. When it was finally taken off she felt very frail and unsupported. From the op to being fully and totally 'better' I guess about 6 months.

Good luck thanks

CuttedUpPear Sat 19-Jul-14 00:29:19

Haffdonga did your DM have hers fused because of arthritis?

FrancesNiadova Sat 19-Jul-14 20:10:34

Thanks Haffdonga, I'll hold onto that. I had the op in April following a really bad ankle break 3 years before, ( it didn't so much break as shatter!)

I was looking forward to getting out of the air boot, (at 3 1/2 lbs air boot is a bit rich!), but I've been told to wear it for another 6 weeks.

I know I'll not run again, but the idea that I could hike again is something to aim for.

Good luck with your op cutteduppear!

Haffdonga Sun 20-Jul-14 10:45:37

Yes Cuttedup dm's op was due to arthritis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now