Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

recommendations for vitamins/supplements?

(9 Posts)
cardamomginger Sat 12-Jul-14 11:38:12

Can anyone recommend a good brand for vits/supplements? I'm looking for things like probiotics, d mannose, vit d, fish oil.

Looked an Amazon, but there's so much it's confusing! Are they all much of a muchness, or are some better than others?

Thank you ☺.

chocoluvva Sat 12-Jul-14 18:03:04

Solgar, Quest, Viridian, Higher Nature, Nutir-advance, Bio-care, Pukka, New Chapter

Have you heard of Krill oil - now recommended as better than other fish oils.

Bio-kult and BioCare are good for probiotics according to a nutritionist I used.

ThatBloodyWoman Sat 12-Jul-14 18:05:14

Please don't use krill oil.
It's being depleted, and is vital for the oceans biodiversity.

Harry1603 Sat 12-Jul-14 18:20:11

I buy my vitamins from Healthspan.

Cocolepew Sat 12-Jul-14 18:39:45

I use Healthspan or Natures Best, both very reasonable and good quality.

TheSpottedZebra Sat 12-Jul-14 19:55:24

Krill Oil not actually 'better' than fish oil, it's just absorbed slightly faster - we're talking minutes and allegedly tastes less fishy.

It contains LESS omega-3 gramme for gramme than does fish oil, and it is about 3x the price.

Op, the brands are all much of a muchness, by and large the base vitamins all come from the same 2x manufacturers in europe. Go with one that suits your needs for formulation, ingredients and format.

cardamomginger Sat 12-Jul-14 20:20:54

Thanks everyone.

Good to know they are all more or less the same in terms of quality.

chocoluvva Sat 12-Jul-14 20:57:06

Krill is being depleted? shock

Solgar is American by the way.

Base vitamins come from the same 2x manufacturers in Europe? Could you tell us more about that TheSpottedZebra?

TheSpottedZebra Sat 12-Jul-14 21:46:30

Not sure what else to tell you, chocoluvva! The Vitamins, Minerals and Supplements (VMS) producers in europe do buy their base vitamins etc from 2 major players.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now