Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! 9 month old been crying for 3 hours

(6 Posts)
Livvylongpants Fri 11-Jul-14 03:31:32

Put DS to bed last night, he was right as rain, had a bottle and went off to sleep.

He woke up at midnight crying, this is fairly normal and he always has a bottle and drops off. Tonight he won't stop crying, he's hysterical.

He won't take any milk or water he's sleeping for 10 mins or so on my chest before starting again! No temperature but feels a bit clammy, childminder didn't return his calpol in his bag today so havn't got any!!! I just don't know what's wrong, no wind, pooed before bed , he has been dribbley yesterday but no red cheeks to think teething.

I have a 3 yo DD and never had this before with either child, I'm in tears myself I'm so tired!!

JennyOnTheBlocks Fri 11-Jul-14 04:27:06

Hope DS has settled now, I remember DS2 doing something very similar when he was a baby, we ended up calling a doctor out to him, and he could find nothing wrong either.

No advice to give apart from maybe keep a bottle of calpol in the house for emergencies?

Justgotosleepnow Fri 11-Jul-14 05:17:14

How is he now? We had something similar a few weeks ago with our dd 14m
I decided it was night terrors as there were no actual tears but she was screaming and totally unsettleable. It was very odd and very distressing. hmm

madwomanbackintheattic Fri 11-Jul-14 06:00:47

Night terrors not really possible until around 2yrs as they are tied in to emotional development and the imagination. And once they start, they usually carry on for six months or so.

I usually gave up on trying to settle hysterical babies at this point, and went outside. Often the change of attitude in me (no longer stressed because I had decided that getting the baby back to sleep wasn't important) and the change of atmosphere - dark, cool, fresh air - meant that the baby settled. And I don't mean take them for a drive or anything, just take outside and talk quietly and either stand on the porch in the dark or walk about.

Just wrap a duvet or blanket round and play the distraction game.

Oh, but calpol if it was in the house, obvs grin

Hope all is calm now x

xvxvxvxvxvxvxvxv Fri 11-Jul-14 06:04:45

Poor thing. And poor you. Horrid isn't it.
Mine did a similar thing even with calpol. I guess it was teeth trying to come through I imagine that the pain is horrific as one tooth ache is bad enough let alone having them try to force their way out. Nothing you can do except hold them. It's exhausting and so worrying. Hope you both got some sleep x

Livvylongpants Fri 11-Jul-14 20:22:57

He slept on and off between crying until 6am, at which point 3 year old DD got up and I had to go to work. He was right as rain this morning so sent him to the childminders and he was fine... Which makes it even odder.

I'm exhausted now and DS is asleep however DD is still going strong and in wilting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now