Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Why do I keep feeling sick after I eat?

(25 Posts)

It's only ever after lunch and/or dinner, never at breakfast. It's not indigestion I just feel sick, it's been going on for a week now almost every day and lasts for a good few hours after I've eaten. Any ideas? Is it worth bothering a dr about?

juneybean Mon 07-Jul-14 19:20:08

Gallbladder? My mum's gallstones started with her being sick after meals.

Hmm I've not been sick or felt like I would just been nauseous.

Thanks smile

Anyone else?

pinkfrocks Mon 07-Jul-14 21:32:59

Pregnant by any chance?

Or a mild tummy bug?

Irritated stomach lining- been drinking a lot?

Might be worth looking at what you eat- greasy food, fried food and dairy might be worth cutting out.

Kittykat7 Tue 08-Jul-14 05:38:18

Maybe e

Kittykat7 Tue 08-Jul-14 05:39:29

Excess acid. Best to see a Dr. Motilium 10 might help you can buy OTC for nausea.

Thanks. I don't eat greasy or fried food, don't drink and haven't had sex in ages grin

I can't really buy any of the OTC stuff as I'm diabetic so always have to go through the dr.

TheFillyjonk Tue 08-Jul-14 06:57:56

Sorry to hear that you're feeling nauseous, it's a horrible feeling.

Could it be an intolerance to something you're eating? Or maybe even the way that you're eating - are you sitting up straight and taking time to chew?

If you like peppermint or ginger tea, a cup of this after meals can help with nausea.

TheLastThneed Tue 08-Jul-14 07:03:33

When I had this, it was excess acid. It lasted for weeks, then I started getting sharp pains beneath my ribs.

I went to the doctor...the tablets he prescribed gave me the most horrific farts....cleared it up though grin

I'm not sure it doesn't seem to be consistent with anything I eat.

I took ranitadine as it's all I had but it didn't touch it. It's making me not want to eat tbh. It seems like such a silly thing to bother a dr about.

Peppermint tea is a good idea thanks smile

Oh no!! Anything to make me feel better though!

Christmascandles Tue 08-Jul-14 07:05:59

Hey spotty <waves>
No advice, sorry, but just wanted to say hello and I'm sorry to hear you're feeling poorly. hmm

If I were you I'd ring the drs but maybe I'm a hypochondriac wink

singaporeswing Tue 08-Jul-14 07:07:32

I get this quite a lot, feeling very nauseous and drained after I eat.

Almost to the point where I have to lie down. Doctor has no idea confused

Hey grin you're probably right but it's such a hassle trying to get a convenient appt wink

TheLastThneed Wed 09-Jul-14 13:14:01

The doctor told me that one thing you eat can set it off, then after that pretty much everything you eat will make you feel sick...

That's interesting. I've been ok the last day but still not sure what I've done differently!

OnlyWantsOne Wed 09-Jul-14 13:40:11

I have this. I cut out loads of things and now I feel better.

If I eat bread, for example - I feel instantly sick

unweavedrainbow Wed 09-Jul-14 13:40:28

How are your sugars? I get this and it's caused by my sugars going to high and then crashing (i have reactive hypoglycaemia caused by autonomic dysfunction, so i'm effectively diabetic). Is your diabetes well controlled? I'd see a doctor, tbh.

Diabetes is fine def not affected by sugar levels. If I get it again I will make an appt it's not something I want to put up with smile

tobysmum77 Thu 10-Jul-14 08:04:16

I reckon tummy bug

kazzawazzawoo Thu 10-Jul-14 11:42:31

I had this for as long as I can remember. I gave up gluten and dairy and it cleared up. If I go back to eating them it comes back. I think it's dairy that causes the problem, but not sure as I eat a small amount of cheese and am ok.

awaynboilyurheid Thu 10-Jul-14 21:04:51

I had this when I had anaemia , apparently I didn't have enough blood to digest the food properly so felt sick in a way it was good as it was the symptom that forced me to go to Drs and then realised I had lots of other ones I had been ignoring

heymammy Thu 10-Jul-14 21:59:03

I have exactly this! except I'm always nauseous after breakfast and usually ok by lunchtime but can't eat late at night or I pay for it the next day...it's been going on since the middle of May so I'm making a gp app when I get home from hols.
I too can't relate it to specific foods and it's making me miserable tbh, can't even go out for a meal without getting a two day stomach ache sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now