Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

low iron

(105 Posts)
ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 16:06:09

hi , iv been feeling so awful for months , so have been to the doctors bloods done discovered i have low ferritin of 9 said my red count 124 which she said wasnt to bad ...what ever that means ....
put me on iron tablets for 3 months ....

anyone els suffer with this or similar ...

springbabydays Sat 05-Jul-14 19:26:59

Yes I had this after my ds was born. Was on iron supplements for around six months. Returned to normal now (well, iron levels have - there's other stuff happening now instead!)

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 20:52:26

thanks , i feel truly awful ...so tired in morning especially get a little better as day goes on , but in need of an afternoon nap most days ...

Spinaroo Sat 05-Jul-14 20:57:36

Yes I have a few times- though not as low as 9. I can now usually tell when I am low ( heavy periods) and get it addressed. The first time it was diagnosed outside of pregnancy was a revelation. I started to feel much better on taking the tablets without having realised I felt quite so bad- I had put all the individual symptoms down to various other things.

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 20:59:00

im on ferrouse farmate 210mg 3x a day for 3 months [hm]

im awaiting results for a celiac blood test or gluten intolerance , i have had IBS for years , and i think there may be a link

MrsSpencerReid Sat 05-Jul-14 21:00:47

Me me me!! My ferritin is 8!! I'm on iron tablets and am taking spatone too, have been for about 3 weeks now, can't wait to feel better! My blood count was ok too

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:02:07

yes i knew i wasnt right either iv had it at 8 few years ago so knew i was feeling bad , but just kept thinking maybe im just hungry low sugar etc as felt faint , dizzy , we have had a stressful time to so put most of my symptoms down to that ....

krazipan Sat 05-Jul-14 21:02:38

I have a ferritin of 5 and a Hb of 111 so also feel shocking. The dr has just prescribed me ferrous fumarate.

NickNacks Sat 05-Jul-14 21:02:59

Yes me. Didn't realise how dreadful I felt until I started to feel better. I would warn you that it can take a while on the iron tablets to feel much of a difference, up to 3 months I would say.

I've actually just come off them and need to have a blood test again in 3 months to check I've not dropped again.

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:04:31

gosh pleased to know not only one thanks all ....how did you feel Mrsspencer ?
im utterly shattered most of the time ....tearful at times to as hate having no energy ..sad

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:06:23

oh gosh Krazipan similar to me then , mine is 9 HB 124..

and prescribed same iron pills as you i take 210mg 3x a day , only on day 2 ....

how you feeling ?

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:08:07

thanks nicknacks , hope you continue to feel good smile

krazipan Sat 05-Jul-14 21:09:57

I was only prescribed them yesterday ballofworry. I cannot wait to start taking them properly and (hopefully!) feeling better! I'm only in my early 30's and feel like an old woman. Have they helped you?

NickNacks Sat 05-Jul-14 21:11:06

Yes I was also on 210mg x3 a day. Take with a glass of orange juice and expect it to upset your tummy a little bit. (In either direction!)

Good luck

dottyaboutstripes Sat 05-Jul-14 21:13:27

I agree, takes about 3 months to feel better. My ferritin was 2, which explained why I was feeling so dire grin. My last test showed it had gone up to a whopping 9 and the gp decided that was ok. Hmm. Recently I've been feeling the dizziness again and really just spaced out so I think it's time for a trip to the doctor

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:14:30

ok well your just a day behind me then lol ..
iv taken only 2 days so no change as yet at all , iv stocked up on greens and nuts and seeds supposed to be high in iron wll try anything to feel better ...feel so rough ...rested today had 2 naps ...
are you on similar dose to me ?
im 42 have had low iron always and was 8 few years ago now ...but just crept up on me again ...just hate feeling so tired and low , and iv lost some hair to thinning round the hairline ...

krazipan Sat 05-Jul-14 21:15:18

I don't understand the massive range for ferritin dotty. The gp told me 'normal' is 10 to 300!! shock

krazipan Sat 05-Jul-14 21:16:38

I am ballofworry. I've also tried to increase iron rich foods, fresh orange for vit c and reducing my tea intake which is possibly the hardest bit! grin

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:17:01

dotty- i feel very spaced out , specially in the morning ....so tired fogy feeling ....and when im out in air walking dogs i feel bit whizzy , oh and really cant turn round quickly feels very odd ....

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:19:27

yes krazipan i was told 13 was low anything above that was ok ...and yes up to 300 ....

i have spatone wonder if i can take that to ..maybe should check with doctor first ....

dottyaboutstripes Sat 05-Jul-14 21:19:43

If I stand up too quickly I fall over! It's not good!

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:21:59

yep dotty similar here to ...

ballofworry Sat 05-Jul-14 21:23:13

doctor think mines because of periods someone of my age etc ....anyone the same ?

MegTheCat Sat 05-Jul-14 21:23:54

Me too! My ferritin was 3 back in March. I have been on the ferrous fumarate for nearly 4 months. I still get tired very easily & have good days and bad days. I'm having an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to check out what may be causing it. I also have IBS type symptoms and GORD, otherwise they would probably have just put it down to periods.

dottyaboutstripes Sat 05-Jul-14 21:24:29

I had a load of tests last year and they couldn't find any reason so the doctor said it must be periods - but they really are not heavy at all so who knows?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now