Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High liver LFT blood results-anyone else had this?

(13 Posts)
Blueslippers Tue 17-Jun-14 20:45:56

Over the last month my toes have been very swollen and inflamed, maybe reynauls phenomenon but doctor not entirely sure. The doctor sent me for bloods and my LFT came back high the first time 76 and a last week it came back higher at 85. She wants me to redo this test next week and also checking my GGT levels too.

Anyone else had this? I've started to google but scaring myself silly!

Blueslippers Tue 17-Jun-14 21:55:41

Sorry just double checked it's my ALT level that's come back high.

kitkat1967 Tue 17-Jun-14 22:17:03

yep me. They got raised as a result of chemo (went into the hundreds) but did not reduce below 80 even many months later. I started to panic about it all so did a bit of research and started taking some vitamins/supplements (already on a very heathly diet to try and get rid of diabetes) - I included zinc and selenium. At my next blood test (have them every 2 months) all the liver function tests were normal - so I'm chuffed grin.

Blueslippers Wed 18-Jun-14 07:19:45

kitkatwell done, I'm glad you've managed to lower the levels. Sorry to hear you've had such a tough time though.

kitkat1967 Wed 18-Jun-14 13:02:30

oh - and try to eat more carrots and beetroot.

AnotherOneBitestheDust Wed 18-Jun-14 15:47:25

Don't feel you have to answer but are you overweight? Liver test results can be affected by that.

Blueslippers Wed 18-Jun-14 20:37:03

No, not overweight, BMI within normal range.

How do carrots and beetroot help?

BasketzatDawn Wed 18-Jun-14 21:25:44

It could be they are looking for an autoimmune component - Raynaud's is AI, and you can get autoimmune liver disease. Which I have. sad, It's not very nice and it's much misunderstood, and nobody's heard of it, even some medical staff know very little about it which can be frustrating ....but there are treatments and the severity varies a lot.

To reassure, your LFTs as you've quoted here aren't very high - they can be up in 3 or 4 figures. Chances are, whatever is up with you, numbers like this don't indicate severe damage which is of course a very good thing. smileSometimes LFTs just fluctuate for no obvious reason. It's just that, with you mentioning Raynaud's too, I thought 'autoimmune' at once. And maybe here's someone else to join our rather exclusive club.grin

I hope my post hasn't alarmed you. I don't believe there's much point in worrying till you have something tangible to worry about - but you'll need some more tests if it keeps going. It sounds good that GP is looking into it for you. If you want to talk, then please feel free to PM me.

RockinD Wed 18-Jun-14 21:27:41

I'm thinking auto immune as well.

My ALT got into the 40s when I was very hypothyroid - that created quite a panic among the medics.

Blueslippers Wed 18-Jun-14 21:39:16

Thank you both for your replies. thanks

No hasn't alarmed me at all but just want to get to the bottom of it ASAP. I hate being ill and especially not knowing what's causing it.

I do have an under active thyroid, on 125 thyroxine for this. The doctor didn't think the medication is affecting my ALT levels.

BasketzatDawn Wed 18-Jun-14 21:40:38

Ha, my team are kind of pleased that my numbers have gone down to 40s/50s WITH treatment. But, hey, it's not a competition, it's just life. grin

DazR Wed 18-Jun-14 21:57:12

I had raised ALT several times earlier in the year (and severe pain) - was eventually diagnosed with a small stone and sludge in my bile duct - a year after having my gallbladder removed... Now sorted via an ERCP. My daughter recently had raised levels too - she was diagnosed with Epstein Barr virus (glandular fever). We were told liver function test results will show a rise for viral infections.

Blueslippers Thu 19-Jun-14 18:58:14

Thank you again for your replies.

I'm starting to suspect maybe coeliac disease as I do have couple of the symptoms. TMI but foul smelling faeces, sometimes constipated although I eat bran every morning and always 5+a day. Always very tired...not sure if it's linked but my stomach always seems to rubble VERY loud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now