Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What CD to pick for MRI scan?

(13 Posts)
flaneuringaround Sun 15-Jun-14 22:31:32

Hi that's basically it. I know it is subjective and I know what I like but I don't know what will be best to hear over the clunks and beeps.

Everything I think of has quiet subtle tracks.

So just throwing it out there to anyone who may have experience.

Thank you. Oh it's a head scan if that makes any difference.

Matildathecat Sun 15-Jun-14 22:56:50

I've never been asked for a choice of music but had a lot of scans. They are really noisy, so just go with anything that you can relax to.

Another tip : each time the radiographer says ' the next bit will be 3 minutes', she is lying, it will be much longer. Although the scan is really noisy if you can relax it's actually quite soporific. I have found myself a bit chilled by the end. So really not too bad but noisysmile

flaneuringaround Sun 15-Jun-14 23:18:08

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

The letter says I can bring a CD but I was actually considering no CD because additional music/noise may be more irritating to me.

But I thought if I choose not to bring a CD then that may have been a silly move.

Thank you for sharing that and you have my sympathy that you have had to have many scans.

flaneuringaround Sun 15-Jun-14 23:20:07

Oh and thank you for the tip. Good to know.

I'm thinking of using the sounds to repeat a mantra of positive words or phrases in my head. Perhaps I'll create a new genre if music lol

flaneuringaround Sun 15-Jun-14 23:20:41

*Of music

Lauren83 Sun 15-Jun-14 23:30:13

I didn't use a cd I didn't need one, I felt pretty anxious before but it wasn't half as bad as what I expected

Good luck!

Coveredinweetabix Sun 15-Jun-14 23:35:53

I took ABBA as I knew it inside out. It was good as, when the woman told me it would be, for example, three mins, I knew it would be the rest of that track and have of the next one. It also means that if the clunks & clicks got too loud, I could sing along in my head & pick it up again when it quietened down. I also took thick socks as it was the only bit of me outside the scanner & they felt really cold.
As a PP said, it really wasn't that bad.

mawbroon Sun 15-Jun-14 23:39:36

I chose a CD, but the sound quality coming through the headphones was so crap that I wish I hadn't bothered!

The next time I went in, I said don't bother with music, but I had to wear the headphones anyway so they could speak to me.

Like PP said, it's actually quite relaxing in there!

flaneuringaround Mon 16-Jun-14 09:23:16

Lots of lovely answers there. Thank you.

I'm leaning towards no CD and thinking relaxing break is what I need(although I'd never have thought this was the way!)

But good call re Abba. I think if I do take a CD it'll be a classic (Beatles,Abba) or a greatest hits (eg the killers) so I know each track inside out and fill in the missing parts in my head.

But I'm swaying towards no CD.

Yesterday I was freaking myself out thinking they'll be able to 'read' my brain and realized I'd better not think about *sex or they'd think I am a right weirdo! A bit like-dont think of a elephant...and now you're thinking of an elephant.

*I don't go around thinking about sex all the time and MRIs certainly don't turn me on you understand.

BertieBotts Mon 16-Jun-14 09:28:19

grin I'm sure they can't read your thoughts.

An audiobook or podcast might be good?

TheFuzz Mon 16-Jun-14 09:41:46

I wouldn't bother, you can't even hear the staff.

flaneuringaround Mon 16-Jun-14 09:42:10

Lol but don't parts of the brain light up? Like memory section,artistic section etc. Maybe I'm thinking of something else?

Interestingly I did find (during online examples of MRI sounds etc) that some musician guy spent 2 years(I'm guessing he had breaks lol) in an MRI scanner singing and the results were his music video. Come to think of it his brain sections didn't light up so...

flaneuringaround Mon 16-Jun-14 09:46:25

OK I've decided no CD. I think too many distracting sounds will irritate me.

Will focus on relaxing my body and going with the flow and beeps and cluncks and thinking about what I'll treat myself to afterwards.

Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I like how many people (here and other websites) say it wasn't as bad as they thought it would be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now