Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Miscarriage or Metronidazole?

(6 Posts)
Monten Sun 15-Jun-14 20:23:50

Hi everyone - I am usually to be found on the antenatal results and choices or miscarriage threads - lucky me.

But I have a question for the general Mumsnet world. Has anyone experienced depression and tearfulness on the antibiotic Metronizadole? I had an Erpc after a missed miscarriage on Monday and was prescribed this on Friday after a suspected infection. Since then I have felt awful: tired, sick, vacant and very very sad. Now I know I'm also sad generally ( what with the miscarriage) but I feel very very bleak and hopeless in a way that is not normal for me.

Would appreciate anyone else's experiences. At the moment I just want to stop taking it, I don't even think I have a bloody infection (no pun intended)

Verynovicegardener Sun 15-Jun-14 22:15:43

So sorry you have been through this.
There was another thread this week that Incommented on as I have just finished a course of metronidazole. Felt dreadful on it.
Having said that it has sorted my infection, so worth it.
Really hope u feel better soon.

Monten Sun 15-Jun-14 23:04:44

Thanks for the response very what a coincidence. It's horrible isn't it? Feel very spacey and not like myself. I probably should persevere though. Thank you

weegiemum Sun 15-Jun-14 23:09:13

So sorry to hear this sad

Metronidazole is a nasty, powerful antibiotic, but very good at what it does (I've taken it twice, once for amoebic dysentery and once for a piece of retained placenta).

It can make you feel pretty ill (and definitely avoid alcohol <voice of experience>) but if you need it ..

I hope you feel a bit healthier and have better news soon x

Noggie Sun 15-Jun-14 23:27:09

It is strong stuff- I found taking it with lots of food and drink helped. X

Monten Sun 15-Jun-14 23:43:51

Thanks both. Had that awful taste in my mouth today too. Did it make you teary? Maybe I am just sad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now