Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

throbbing head...can I take the yellow migraleve tablets without taking the pink ones first?

(25 Posts)
ssd Sat 14-Jun-14 17:40:40

sent dh out to get migraleve tablets he brought back the yellow ones, its says on them take the pink ones first but I dont have any...can I skip the pink and take the yellow? have also taken 2 nurofen migraine tablets that havent touched it

Bunbaker Sat 14-Jun-14 17:42:09

The pink ones are to stave off nausea as well as being pain killers. The yellow ones are just painkillers and I think are co-codamol, so they will be fine.

MrsMaturin Sat 14-Jun-14 17:43:47

What did the nurofen have in it?

starfishmummy Sat 14-Jun-14 17:54:19

I am.lrettynsure reconstruction say that younger skip the pink ones. I always used to as I didn't have nausea.

I can remember DH being told by the out of hours doctor just to keep giving me more migrate even though I had had the maximum dose and it wasn't touching the headache confused

starfishmummy Sat 14-Jun-14 17:54:48

Migraleve not migrate.

Bunbaker Sat 14-Jun-14 17:56:52

The pharmacy told me just to buy a pack of pink Migraleve and use Co-codamol for subsequent doses as it was cheaper and the yellow ones were co-codamol anyway.

ssd Sat 14-Jun-14 17:59:01

the nurofen had ibuprofen lysine 342mg equivelant to ibuprofen 200mg it says

can i take 2 migraleve as well took the nurofen 30 mins ago

Bunbaker Sat 14-Jun-14 18:12:26

The yellow tablets contain paracetamol and codeine. I don't know whether you can take them on top of the Nurofen as I am not medically qualified.

ssd Sat 14-Jun-14 18:20:31

bump anypone

Woopsiedaisy Sat 14-Jun-14 18:21:20

The Pink ones are the ones that should stop the Migraine developing if taken early enough.

I always take them as soon as I get an Aura and 60% of the time they stop the attack. I never bother with the Yellow, but take Neurofen instead.

If the attack has already started the Pink are pretty useless. I would take Neurofen and a cup of caffeinated Coffee and try to snatch 2-3 hours sleep. Don't ask me why the coffee helps but it certainly makes a difference to me.

If your attack is badly impacted by gastric disturbance try and get some Nurofen melts. They melt on the tongue and start to be absorbed before hitting your stomach.

ssd Sun 15-Jun-14 22:31:02

thanks, well its only getting better now, have tried everything, nurofen, paracetamol, migraleve, nothing touched it, also slept on and off

the joys!

DrankSangriaInThePark Mon 16-Jun-14 07:12:54

Hope it's passed now ssd.

Have you tried imigran? You can get it on prescription under the generic name of sumatryptan.

It has literally changed my life. Migraleve never used to touch my migraines, with sumatryptan within an hour I am a fully functioning human being again and haven't been sick for years.

lougle Mon 16-Jun-14 07:38:54

Both the pink and the yellow have paracetamol in them so you must not take paracetamol with them.

The best non-triptan solution to a migraine is 2 paracetamol and 900mg dissolvable aspirin.

In terms of triptans, it depends on whether you get gastric stasis during an attack. I do, so taking tablets has no effect -they just sit in my stomach until the migraine had gone.

Sumatriptan by injection is good (but hurts). I take rizatriptan wafers (maxalt melts). They dissolve on my tongue, absorbing into my mouth and bypass the stomach.

ssd Mon 16-Jun-14 16:43:06

someone at work told me to take 2 paracetamol and 3 asprins, is that what you recommended lougle? I dont know what you mean by triptan and gastric stasis blush

havent tried imigran, but will ask the chemist for it next time, or is it a dr only thing?

BTW thanks for all responses, so helpful to me xx

lougle Mon 16-Jun-14 17:06:25

Yes, 2 paracetamol and 3, 300mg aspirin.

Triptan (sumatriptan, rizatriptan, etc) is a type of drug - they're used for migraine.

Gastric stasis just means that the stomach shuts down. It means, for me, that taking any tablet is useless once a migraine is fully established, because until it's over the tablet will just sit in the stomach and won't be absorbed.

lougle Mon 16-Jun-14 17:07:33

Migraleve ultra is sumatriptan. You can buy it over the counter.

ssd Tue 17-Jun-14 16:41:04

lougle, would you recommend migraleve ultra over 2 paracetamols and 3 asprins, or is it really just what works for you..

lougle Tue 17-Jun-14 16:44:15

They work in different ways. I would recommend that if you find Migraleve Ultra helpful, you go to your GP and get a prescription for sumatriptan, which is the active ingredient.

That's because you'll pay £7.99 for 2 tablets OTC, but you can get a prescription for more by the GP for the same price.

Georgethesecond Tue 17-Jun-14 16:45:51

<buys aspirin>

ssd Tue 17-Jun-14 21:40:34

thanks

Georgethesecond Fri 20-Jun-14 08:53:27

Just came back to say - thanks so much for the aspirin tip!!!

lougle Fri 20-Jun-14 11:01:47

I'm glad it helped. Do bear in mind though that it's a NSAID and the list of people who shouldn't take it is massive, so you should make sure that you don't have any of the conditions that contraindicate its use and be very cautious.

It's a great drug, but its side effects can be severe and irreversible.

Georgethesecond Fri 20-Jun-14 16:44:57

Thank you. I did read the leaflet before I took them and I will read it again. But it actually worked!

lougle Fri 20-Jun-14 17:16:59

smile

ssd Sat 21-Jun-14 22:47:26

brilliant george!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now