Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HELP! Dental or jawbone problem, don't know what to do.

(4 Posts)
BoffinMum Sat 14-Jun-14 12:24:28

Had surgery for jawbone cyst at end of March. There were some complications so the operation took quite a long time and I have lost sensation in the inferior alveolar nerve. Also had some crowns on top and bottom molars in similar area a few months ago, bite never quite satisfactory but we were seeing how it went.

Lots of jaw pain since operation.

Was eating some bread a few minutes ago and heard something snap. Jaw now hurts near the hinge bit.

Not sure if this would be jawbone snapping or crown cracking. Have taken Solpadeine Max. Upper molars sensitive when I bite on them, and jaw hinge hurting a lot.

Don't know whether to ring dentist, go to A and E, put up with it, or what.
In pain and vair grumpy.

BoffinMum Sat 14-Jun-14 12:25:06

No swelling though.

FabULouse Sat 14-Jun-14 13:04:57

I'd ring dentist and get it checked out + xrayed. Poor you, sounds v painful.

Willdoitinaminute Sat 14-Jun-14 23:59:38

If your bite is high you may have been grinding which can cause inflammation of the joint TMJ. The swelling can lead to an audible click when you open and close your mouth.
You may not be completely aware of bite problem if you have nerve damage but your bite will need adjustment. See your dentist ASAP to get it checked out. In the meantime take a decent dose of ibuprofen ( if you can) to reduce the inflammation and ease the pain.
Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now