Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any anaesthetists about?? Sore throat after GA - making me miserable

(6 Posts)

Hoping someone -anaesthetists - can reassure/advise me regarding a sore throat after minor op.

Onset of sore throat was about 8 hrs after the procedure - is it linked to the GA or just an unlucky coincidence? It's getting me down as other than that I have felt fine!

TIA.

How long ago? You are normally intubated during a GA so that can give you a sore throat. I am not an expert but had an op last week.

'Op' was yesterday morning and only a minor procedure so I wasn't 'under' for long, hence why I wonder if it is connected to GA?

magso Fri 13-Jun-14 20:29:55

Not a medic but I have always had a sore throat (feels bruised) after a GA. I thought it was due to the tube down your throat whilst unconscious? I know it doesn't happen to everyone so assumed it was something specific to me - ie small throat or oversensitive in some way!
Hope you are not coming down with anything, and feel better soon.

SockQueen Fri 13-Jun-14 23:51:17

You will have had a breathing tube of one sort or another in your throat during the op as part of your anaesthetic. This can be irritating to the throat, and in some cases the process of putting it in can cause minor damage to the sensitive tissues back there, which leaves some patients feeling sore afterwards. It usually heals up and gets better within a few days though.

spindlyspindler Sat 14-Jun-14 00:54:35

I had an op on Tuesday and they told me my throat was sore because of the tube. It feels much better now. Ice cream is the thing, medicinally, I am sure smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now