Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

MRI scan next week, wedged on rings!

(11 Posts)
WildThong Thu 12-Jun-14 21:17:35

I have three gold rings that I have never taken off in 15 years, I am very worried that I will have to get them cut off before an MRI?

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 12-Jun-14 21:20:45

Gold rings are fine, I wore mine for an MRI, they are not magnetic.

JKSLtd Thu 12-Jun-14 21:21:21

There's a YouTube video that shows a doctor getting a ring off a swollen finger that might help.
You need some elastic.
Can't link to it on my hope I don't think.

If they're gold, it's not a problem.

WildThong Thu 12-Jun-14 21:28:14

Thank you, that puts my mind at rest.

I promise I'm speaking from experience, I've had 7 MRI scans, that I can remember.
Hope it all goes well.

WildThong Thu 12-Jun-14 22:56:16

7 MRIs! Hope you're ok SB?

I'm fine thanks WildThong, I have a very slow-growing benign brain tumour that is being removed in 3 weeks -eek!

I hope your scan goes well, just try and see it as an opportunity to catch up on some sleep. smile

WildThong Mon 16-Jun-14 00:05:13

Thank you and good luck to you!

HoleySocksBatman Mon 16-Jun-14 09:28:16

i kept my wedding ring on during an abdominal MRI. I was in the scanner from armpits to kneecaps and only my arms were out.

I felt a vibration in my ring cos its cheap gold, but it was fine to keep on.

My stainless steel CBR earrings had to come out though! OMFG what a nightmare.

WildThong Mon 16-Jun-14 22:13:32

My scan is on my shoulder, wonder if I will be all the way in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now