Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

?? Allergy to alcohol

(5 Posts)
Bossyboots13 Sat 07-Jun-14 16:29:41

I don't drink in the week but on a Friday or Saturday evening we go out for a meal or meet friends in the pub for a few drinks. I drink wine or vodka usually. For the past few weeks I have woken in the night after a night out at around 4am feeling terrible with palpitations, headache and pain I my stomach. I usually get up and drink a couple of glasses of water and take some paracetamol and then it takes an hour or so for the palpitations to stop and I can go back to sleep. This has been happening for a couple of months now. Has anyone else had this and if so what is the cause? Any help would be great.

HopeClearwater Sun 08-Jun-14 00:10:27

How much do you have to drink?

There is a condition which renders some people unable to tolerate alcohol at all, but it's rare and only appears in a very specific group - think these people are from somewhere in the Indian subcontinent but you'd need to check.

It may well be your body's way of telling you to cut back...

HopeClearwater Sun 08-Jun-14 00:11:24

Those symptoms actually just sound like a hangover!

drinkyourmilk Sun 08-Jun-14 00:16:35

I would cut back and make sure I drank plenty before bed.
As I've gotten older I've found I just can't handle much at all. 2 glasses (175ml) of wine and I'm anyone's! Plus my tummy feels delicate the next day. It's rubbish as I love wine, but it's not something I can change. Alcohol is a poison after all!

Bossyboots13 Mon 09-Jun-14 12:23:28

Thanks for your replies

For instance on Friday night I had 3 white wine spritzers and in between I had 2 glasses of water and another glass of water before I went to bed. I woke at 3.45 with palpitations, headache and feeling sick. I am 50 this year and drink much less than I did when younger. It's the palpitations that I particularly don't like. I didn't used to get that with an ordinary hangover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now