Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ingrown Toenail, anyone got/had one?

(8 Posts)
MrsItsNoworNotatAll Sat 07-Jun-14 14:47:08

So, I've recently had minor surgery to partially removed my Toenail and so far so good. It's healing nicely and I have quite a big dressing on it. It's not as painful now and so far so one has stood on it.

The only problem I'm having is I can't wear any enclosed footwear at all, at least not on my right foot. Sandals or Flip Flops are my best friends right now. The swelling has gone down as I can get a trainer on but cannot walk comfortably because of the dressing. Plus it starts to rub against my Toe which bloody stings!

What I'd like to know is if anyone has had the same surgery and how long was it before you could wear a shoe, boot, whatever, comfortably without much discomfort.

Thanks!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 07-Jun-14 14:52:49

I remember being back in my normal shoes within about 4 days I think.

Within a day of the surgery I took off the comedy bandage. Until it healed I always used thin dressings when I wore shoes. When the shoes came off for the day so did the dressings so it could dry out and heal better.

Hth :-)

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Sat 07-Jun-14 15:03:59

Hmmm it might be worth taking off this dressing then and let the air get to it.

How did yours look? Mine was...gory! But looked better after the second dressing was taken off.

RockinD Sat 07-Jun-14 16:29:29

I went back to work the following day without a dressing, partly because I would not have been able to get a shoe on otherwise and it was January.

Work and back is a three mile walk - no problem.

I was however surprised that I had to keep going back for check ups for six weeks after and the podiatrist clearly expected that I would be wearing a dressing for all that time.

I had not been told anything about this in advance. All I was told was that once the side of the toe nail was removed all my pain would instantly be gone.

They also didn't tell me that there would be a huge ridge across the toenail which would take 18 months to grow out or that my toe would still be purple six months on!

MerdeAlor Sun 08-Jun-14 18:46:21

6-8 weeks is normal after in growing toenail surgery with phenolisation ( the acid used to prevent regrowth). The worse the I growing toenail the longer it will take to heal.
Don't go without bandages. The toe gets infected very easily and the dressings are preventing that.
Don't put shoes on that hurt the healing toe! It will delay it healing. Wear open toed shoes or sandals until it's healed.
It all sounds perfectly normal to me. Perhaps more advice on what to expect afterwards from your podiatrist would have been helpful.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Sun 08-Jun-14 19:33:27

I wasnt given any advice really. Just to go back two days after the surgery to have it checked /redressed. With hindsight I Should've asked but I didn't think too.

It is healing though but I would just like it to heal a bit quicker. I have to wear steel toe capped shoes at work but it's impossible at the moment and I think my employers will have a moan about the time I'm taking off although I aren't exactly thrilled about it. It's frustrating as I'm not I'll and if there were light duties I go and do them but there isn't and anyway I have to wear steelies.

Which at the moment isn't happening.

MerdeAlor Sun 08-Jun-14 20:46:39

Certainly after 2-3 weeks if all is normal you should be in minimal dressings so that will help. If it is the side beside the 2nd toe put a little spacer between the big toe and the 2nd toe. Perhaps some felt or cotton wool. Then the 2nd toe won't get bashed.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Mon 09-Jun-14 00:07:32

Oh that's a good idea! Thank you, I'll try that.

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now