Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Neck ultrasound for lymph node swellings anyone have any experiences?

(21 Posts)
Lifeisadancefloor Thu 05-Jun-14 14:03:25

I have been referred to the hospital for a persistent swelling in several lymph nodes in my neck, I have a few other nodes swollen and general fatigue, catching everything thats going, night sweats etc.

Has anyone had this - I am, to be honest frightened but with the added bonus of I don't know whats going to happen! I have no idea what they are looking for - my GP who is lovely was very vague and just kept patting my hand a lot!

Any experiences?

Lifeisadancefloor Thu 05-Jun-14 15:11:23

Anyone?

Le1890 Thu 05-Jun-14 16:42:12

Lymph nodes swell when you have infections. So it may be that you are run down and that's why you keep getting the viruses all the time which would cause your glands to swell.

Are the glands/lymph nodes big? What did your gp say to you?x

Lifeisadancefloor Thu 05-Jun-14 16:51:41

Thanks for replying. The doctor already took bloods and said there were no signs of infection or viruses (full viral screen) so I don't know what they are looking for.

I have big ones under my jaw and a very lumpy one on the right side of my neck, under my right arm - including a few little ones on the back of my neck and towards the lower part of my neck

GP was very vague - said that an ultrasound was required to find out what was wrong. I just don't know what it is - feel quite poorly but wish the GP had said what she was looking for! Bit frustrating really

bubblebabeuk Thu 05-Jun-14 17:28:21

I have the same thing, I had it done yesterday. Its a little uncomfortable but other wise the actual fine needle biopsy feels similar to a blood test. I have been achy since but mainly because they press fairly firmly with the ultrasound probe.

bubblebabeuk Thu 05-Jun-14 17:30:02

My doctors are looking for lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph nodes. Aparently most cases are just reactive and nothing to worry about. Have you been checked for glandular fever yet?

Lifeisadancefloor Thu 05-Jun-14 17:38:59

Thanks Bubble - yep I've had glandular fever and the viral screen said they could tell I had high levels of antigens (as I have already had it) but its not that. They seemed to have ruled viruses out.

Thanks for sharing about the ultrasound - doctor didn't mention lymphoma but just googled it so I see why.

Hopefully it will be nothing - hope you are okay Bubble(?!)

wightjellybaby Thu 05-Jun-14 17:52:05

Ive had ultrasound on my neck for swolen thyroid they press quite firmly bit its ok you can breath its not that hard and was quick they showed me the pictures too as they did it and explained what was what. It was a shock when they said they weren't doing a biopsy as I had no idea that they might have had to so just be ready incase they need to with you.

Shewhowines Thu 05-Jun-14 18:35:44

My friends doctors were concerned about lymphoma but it turned out to be toxomiplasmosis (sp?). So she'll be fine soon.

It's probably nothing to be concerned about but they have to rule things out.

Lifeisadancefloor Thu 05-Jun-14 18:36:58

Thanks Wight - I have only been referred for the ultrasound - if it needs a biopsy do they do it on the same day?

Better take a good book then smile

blondepip Thu 05-Jun-14 18:44:49

Hi, it could be many things but it could be lymphoma, I was diagnosed in feb 2012 after a year of persistent swollen glands in neck & underarm, fungal infections, weight loss, night sweats etc. be persistent, I was fobbed off after an ultrasound that they were just reactive glands, Hodgkin lymphoma do not show on ultrasound or needle biopsy, they need a CT scan & full gland biopsy to diagnose. If I'd have been taken seriously early on my treatment would have been far easier, the lymphoma I had can be very easily cured. Hopefully it won't be this though!

bubblebabeuk Thu 05-Jun-14 19:01:55

I am having a general anaesthetic to check some other lumps they saw in my head so not looking great. Just so tired at the minute and the night sweats suck. Just tested positive for mrsa so got to use special stuff to clear it before the op now. Fingers crossed for you.

bubblebabeuk Thu 05-Jun-14 19:03:51

Btw they will do the biopsy straight away, but realistically only a lymph node excision biopsy is considered to be gold standard in terms of diagnosis.

wightjellybaby Thu 05-Jun-14 19:22:48

I was just sat there having the ultrasound and she said there wasnt a mass/lump so she doesn't have to do a biopsy it was implied that shed have done it there and then but my thyroid is just swollen and packing up as a result but its ok at the moment and ok to just be monitored at 6monthly check ups but will most likely end up on meds at some point

Hopfully youll be in a similar situation

Lifeisadancefloor Thu 05-Jun-14 19:26:07

Thanks everyone - I think I know what to expect.

Hope you get a bright diagnosis Bubble

I hope your issues improve Wight

Fingers crossed for me smile

bubblebabeuk Thu 12-Jun-14 03:13:20

Just wondering how you all got on... So far lymph node biopsy done and booked for a general anaesthetic to do someother biopsies in my head on the 26th june.... Fingers crossed

bubblebabeuk Sun 22-Jun-14 02:32:06

Had a saturday evening call to come in on tuesday 24th to review the fna biopsies. Feeling anxious now, either someone at the hospital is on overtime or its not looking great :-( really suprised they havent just waited until after the op on thursday.

mummylin Wed 25-Jun-14 16:32:50

How are you bubblebabe?

bubblebabeuk Thu 26-Jun-14 06:02:05

Not great, surgery today for further biopsies. Got another thread about it here

Mumof3xox Thu 26-Jun-14 06:32:09

My dad had this

Was refered by his dentist

Ultrasound didn't show anything abnormal so he had a biopsy and still nothing suspicious think he had some of the full body scans too

bubblebabeuk Tue 01-Jul-14 03:43:56

Still no results! Asked the Dr doing my op and he said my consultant will discuss it with me once all the results are in from the op........
And thursday was a disaster, turns out I should have been put as an inpatient not day surgery so they got me changed while looking for a bed etc, then just after 6pm, having been nil by mouth since midnight the night before, the doctor sent me home. Rebooked as an inpatient for monday 7th july. Very fed up now sad

I do however know that in addition to biopsying the bit in my sinuses they were worried about, it will also be a tongue biopsy and a throat biopsy as well.

Glad your dad was okay wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now